Amtrak Unveils Images for New NY Penn Station Lounge, Massive Upgrade Over ClubAcela
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spending as little time as possible in New York’s Penn Station is a goal for nearly any New Yorker. The dark, dirty maze of a station is home to the regional train lines: New Jersey Transit and Long Island railroads, as well as Amtrak and some of its most profitable routes along the Northeastern Corridor.
In 2016 it was announced that Penn was finally getting a much needed renovation and now Amtrak is upping its game too, enough to where Amtrak passengers may actually want to spend time at the station before their ride. Penn Station will expand into a building across the street from its current location, the historic James A. Farley Post Office, transforming into Moynihan Train Hall.
The refresh of the Penn Station will cost $1.6 billion and hopefully be completed by early 2021. Amtrak says the station will feature massive improvements to the passenger experience, “including more spacious boarding conditions, dedicated customer waiting areas with private restrooms, complementary Wi-Fi in all customer spaces, dedicated lactation lounge for nursing mothers, combined ticketing and baggage area.”
With this renovation, the train operator has released renderings of the its new lounge, called the Metropolitan Lounge (formerly ClubAcela) that will be located in Moynihan Hall. It will be replacing the current Club Acela, which lacks windows and features sparse amenities and food offerings.
Amtrak plans on opening the space in 2021, which will be available for passengers traveling in Amtrak’s premium cabins, including passengers traveling in Acela First Class, sleeping cars, plus Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus and Select Executive members. The train operator released renderings of the new space, showcasing a much more light-filled and spacious lounge than before.
“The Metropolitan Lounge at Moynihan Train Hall will also include priority boarding, dedicated customer service agents, comfortable seating and tables with access to electrical outlets and USB ports, a dedicated family seating area, expanded food and beverage offerings, a business center and multiple conference rooms as part of the Executive Conference Center, and a 20 feet tall balcony overlooking the Train Hall,” Amtrak said in a press release. Conde Nast Traveler reports that unlike the current ClubAcela, booze will be available at the Metropolitan Lounge.
There will be multiple conference rooms that look out onto New York City’s streets.
The renderings show off plenty of seating options and the modern, open design lends itself to a more inviting atmosphere than the current ClubAcela. Lounge guests will have access to balcony seating for those who want to check out all the action below.
In addition to those traveling in Amtrak’s premium cars, United Club members and those traveling in United Polaris’ international routes (on a same-day ticket) will have access to the new Metropolitan Lounge. Amtrak has been upgrading its lounges across the country, it recently renovated its Boston and Chicago lounges and plans on opening refreshed lounges in Philadelphia and Washington DC’s Union Station. The train operator is refreshing its train car’s interiors and hired ex-Delta CEO Richard Anderson to help the company build a sustainable business model.
All images courtesy of Amtrak.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees