Amtrak offering 15% student discount through the end of 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today, Amtrak announced a 15% student discount to students between the ages of 17 and 24. The discount is valid for most travel booked by Dec. 30, 2021, for travel commencing by Dec. 31, 2021. The discount can be applied to regular adult rail fares, and valid student identification must be presented upon request.
For TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
That said, there are a few restrictions to keep in mind:
- This offer is valid for Acela Business class or Coach seats only.
- Discount is not valid on upgrades to Acela First class, non-Acela Business class and sleeper cars.
- Discount is not valid on Missouri river runner, Hiawatha service, Wolverine, Blue Water, Pere Marquette, Lincoln service, Illini, Saluki, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquins, Capitol Corridor, Keystone, Pennsylvanian, and 7000-8999 thruway series.
- Seats may not be available on all trains on all days.
Students can take advantage of the discount by booking through this page on Amtrak’s website or by entering discount code V814 on the Amtrak app.
This student discount can lead to super cheap fares on some routes. For example, you can book Chicago to New York for just $90 one-way in coach this July.
Or, you can book Washington D.C. to Boston one-way for $34 in coach or $69 in Acela business class in August.
Unfortunately, the route restrictions make it difficult to use the student discount on shorter local routes. This is puzzling to me as many colleges are along these routes. For example, Amtrak’s Illini service connects Chicago to Champaign-Urbana and Carbondale, home to two of the largest public universities in Illinois.
It’s great to see Amtrak offer a generous discount to students through the end of the year, despite the restrictions. It’s a great way to encourage post-pandemic travel for students and offer them a cheap way to travel to and from campus on applicable routes. If you’re eligible for the discount, see if taking Amtrak is a viable option for your summer travel.
Feature photo by Zach Honig / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees