Check out the new locomotives Amtrak just rolled out on the Empire Builder line
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There are pretty cool-looking new train engines that Amtrak just rolled out on its iconic Empire Builder route.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The new locomotives began running trains westbound from Chicago to Seattle last week. Amtrak says, “Locomotives 301 and 302 are among the first of 75 locomotives being delivered through 2024.”
The Empire Builder line runs from Chicago through Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington and Oregon. You can end your trip in Seattle or you can take it all the way to Portland, Oregon.
Related: A look inside Amtrak’s new rail cars
These ALC-42 locomotives were built in partnership between Amtrak and Siemens Mobility, and Amtrak says they are much more environmentally friendly than the 1990’s-era engines that they are replacing. “They reduce emissions of nitrogen oxide by more than 89 percent and particulate matter by 95 percent,” said Amtrak in a press release.
Amtrak had a news conference at Chicago Union Station to introduce the new locomotives.
“We take our commitment to sustainability seriously at Amtrak. We’re focused on being the solution to get people out of cars and planes and onto rail for greater emissions reductions,” said Amtrak Vice President and Chief Mechanical Officer George Hull.
The trains are also built in the U.S. at Siemens Mobility’s rail manufacturing hub in Sacramento, California.
The new locomotives won’t be limited to the Empire Builder line either.
“These locomotives will power trains used on these services: Auto Train (suburban Washington to suburban Orlando), California Zephyr (Chicago to San Francisco Bay), Capitol Limited (Washington to Chicago), Cardinal (New York to Chicago), City of New Orleans (Chicago to New Orleans), Coast Starlight (Seattle to Los Angeles), Crescent (New York to New Orleans), Empire Builder (Chicago to Seattle/Portland), Lake Shore Limited (New York/Boston to Chicago), Palmetto (New York to Savannah) Silver Star & Silver Meteor (New York to Miami), Southwest Chief (Chicago to Los Angeles), Sunset Limited (New Orleans to Los Angeles) and Texas Eagle (Chicago to San Antonio, Texas).”
“Amtrak’s historic Empire Builder is getting a facelift with today’s debut of two new locomotives. Rail passengers will enjoy cleaner, more reliable service with the state-of-the-art ALC-42 locomotives in place,” said Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.), Chair of the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee. She continued, “I’m looking forward to even more improvements in the coming years, thanks to $22 billion in Amtrak funding passed as part of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law.”
Featured image courtesy of Marc Glucksman/River Rail Photo for Amtrak.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees