NYC’s hottest new bar? Amtrak’s Metropolitan Lounge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A new full-service bar is now open in Amtrak’s Metropolitan Lounge in New York City, where select Amtrak travelers can choose from alcoholic beverages, La Colombe coffee and complimentary food, the company said in a press release on Jan. 13.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Furthering the long-awaited $1.6 billion development of the Moynihan Train Hall that opened last year in Penn Station, the Metropolitan Lounge bar menu offers beer, wine, cocktails and hot food offerings available for purchase between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. daily.
Beer lovers can enjoy a seasonal, rotational menu featuring brews from more than 400 local New York State breweries, including Boroughs Brewing, Brooklyn Brewery, Ithaca Beer Company, Empire Brewing Company and Montauk Brewing Company.
Coffee-based beverages will be provided by La Colombe free of charge. Espresso, lattes, americanos and the like have been available since the lounge first opened thanks to the Philadelphia-based specialty roaster.
In addition to the other food currently offered in the lounge outside of the bar, you’ll also find complimentary snacks, pastries, yogurt parfaits, fruit, salads and sandwiches. But if it’s anything like its existing lounge food, prepare to be disappointed.
“Unfortunately, the menu at Amtrak’s new lounge disappoints — so much so that you might want to eat beforehand if you have a long journey ahead,” TPG in-house Amtrak expert Vikkie Walker wrote in April 2021 shortly after the hall opened. “I was pretty excited to try the food at the new Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge at New York’s brand new Moynihan Train Hall. In hindsight, I should have probably grabbed a muffin from the bodega before heading to the lounge in Midtown Manhattan.”
Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus and Select Plus members get unlimited access to the lounge, while Select members get two single-visit passes annually. Those traveling in first-class (Acela) or sleeper cars can also visit. It’s open during the week from 5:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. to. 9:00 p.m. on weekends.
“We are delighted to introduce this new amenity to our customers traveling in and out of New York City; it is another example of Amtrak’s commitment to continually evaluate and improve the customer experience,” Roger Harris, Amtrak executive vice president and chief marketing and revenue officer, said in a statement. “Customers who want to have a drink and relax before or after their train can now do so from the comforts of our flagship lounge.”
All parties age 12 and older wishing to enter the lounge must show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination. Beginning Jan. 28, children ages 5 to 11 must also provide such for entry.
Featured photo of Amtrak ticketing area at Moynihan Train Hall at Pennsylvania Station by Mark Kauzlarich/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees