One of Europe’s Busiest Airports Is Testing Facial Recognition Boarding
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
From London to Shanghai to Singapore, facial recognition is beginning its journey to become a more common part of the boarding process. Closer to home, Delta recently launched the first biometric terminal in the US, while the technology has infiltrated certain parts of airports in Orlando, Los Angeles and Washington, DC.
This week, Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport (AMS) formally launched a pilot for boarding by means of facial recognition. The news follows a KLM test at the airport some two years ago, with Cathay Pacific stepping up to the plate this time around.
Per the airport, this trial “belongs to the first phase of fully enabling travel by means of facial recognition at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol in the longer term.”
Here’s an overview of how things will work.
After check-in, participants in the pilot will be accompanied to one of the special registration kiosks. The passengers will have their passport, boarding pass and face scanned here. This process will be followed by security and passport control, as always. When boarding, the passenger’s face will be scanned at the gate. The scan will be compared with the one produced when registering. If the face is recognised, the gate will open and the passenger will be able to board immediately, resulting in greater convenience for the passenger and a smoother flow at the airport.
At present, you still need to show your passport, your boarding pass or both at various checkpoints within the airport; for example, when you drop off your baggage, during security checks, when you cross the border and during boarding.
According to Wilma van Dijk, Director of Safety and Security at Schiphol, you will be able to pass through these checkpoints more smoothly due to being recognized by your face in the future, leaving your passport and boarding pass “tucked away in your bag.”
During the months ahead, scanning faces, passports and boarding passes will be tested on registration and during boarding. In the next phase, this list is intended to be expanded with passport control over the course of the year. There’s no mention of whether initial photos are deleted once the boarding process is complete, or which entity is responsible for the safe-keeping of those images.
All photos courtesy of Schiphol.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees