This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
KLM has started testing biometric face-scanning technology for the next three months (with the possibility of an extension) at Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport (AMS) in an effort to speed up the airline’s boarding process and improve security.
Scanners installed just outside the jetway can confirm a passenger’s identity before getting on the plane, eliminating the need to show a boarding pass or passport immediately before boarding. Although, passengers still need to register to use this technology to board — a process that involves scanning passports as well as faces at a registration kiosk prior to entering the gate area. The trial technology will only be used at one specially-selected gate, and KLM claims that all personal data will be erased from the registration kiosk after 10 hours.
The use of biometric technology in hopes of expediting security screening is becoming more common. For example, Clear uses fingerprint and iris scans to expedite the security process at several airports in the US, and several countries now use fingerprint scans to improve security at their borders.
Schiphol and KLM have partnered on other initiatives to streamline various airport operations, like a current trial that allows passengers to leave their laptops and liquids in their carry-on bags while going through security.
Featured image courtesy of KLM.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees