KLM Testing Facial Recognition Technology for Boarding
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
KLM has started testing biometric face-scanning technology for the next three months (with the possibility of an extension) at Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport (AMS) in an effort to speed up the airline’s boarding process and improve security.
Scanners installed just outside the jetway can confirm a passenger’s identity before getting on the plane, eliminating the need to show a boarding pass or passport immediately before boarding. Although, passengers still need to register to use this technology to board — a process that involves scanning passports as well as faces at a registration kiosk prior to entering the gate area. The trial technology will only be used at one specially-selected gate, and KLM claims that all personal data will be erased from the registration kiosk after 10 hours.
The use of biometric technology in hopes of expediting security screening is becoming more common. For example, Clear uses fingerprint and iris scans to expedite the security process at several airports in the US, and several countries now use fingerprint scans to improve security at their borders.
Schiphol and KLM have partnered on other initiatives to streamline various airport operations, like a current trial that allows passengers to leave their laptops and liquids in their carry-on bags while going through security.
Featured image courtesy of KLM.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees