This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express has launched a new transfer bonus for those with Membership Rewards-earning cards. The targeted deal offers a 10% to 20% bonus when transferring Amex Membership Rewards points to Aeroplan, Air Canada’s on-again, off-again rewards program. There’s no specified end date for this deal, and Amex points usually appear instantly in your Aeroplan account after a transfer has been initiated.
Normally you can transfer Amex points to Aeroplan at a 1000:1000, or 1:1 ratio, but with this deal, you’ll earn either 1,100 or 1,200 Aeroplan miles for every 1,000 Amex points you move. Note that this offer is targeted, so it may not appear in your account. I didn’t see it on my Business Platinum® Card from American Express but TPG Editorial Director Julian Kheel had the 10% version attached to his profile (along with the previously existing 40% British Airways Avios transfer bonus).
Aeroplan miles are one of the more useful mileage currencies in the Star Alliance. You can book flights on partner carriers in premium cabins at great rates, especially to Europe, though in many cases you will have to pay carrier surcharges. However, it only takes 55,000 miles for a one-way business class award to Western Europe — that means you’d only need to transfer 50,000 Amex points with the 10% transfer bonus, or 46,000 with the 20% bonus.
That means you could be flying in United’s new Polaris business class for as few as 46,000 miles, and when redeeming Aeroplan awards on United, there are no significant surcharges.
On the other hand, if you’re willing to shell out some serious cash for the surcharges, you can fly Lufthansa First Class for 70,000 Aeroplan miles, or just 59,000 miles with the 20% Amex transfer bonus. In either case, you’ll pay about $780 in surcharges for one direction.
So check your Amex account to see if you’ve been targeted for this transfer bonus, and if you’ve been missed this time, don’t fret, as Amex consistently runs transfer promotions with its airline partners. In this year alone, we’ve seen transfer bonuses for Cathay Pacific’s Asia Miles, JetBlue, Air France/KLM’s Flying Blue and Virgin Atlantic. And as noted above, right now you can transfer Amex points to British Airways, Iberia or Aer Lingus Avios and earn an impressive 40% bonus in the process — that promotion ends on November 15.
Don’t have any Amex points? You can earn Membership Rewards points with a wide variety of American Express cards, including:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express — Earn a 60,000-point welcome bonus after spending $5,000 in first three months
- American Express® Gold Card — Earn a 35,000-point welcome bonus after spending $2,000 in first three months.
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express — Earn up to 75,000 bonus points for spending $20,000 in the first three months of card membership
For more on how to maximize Aeroplan miles, check out these guides:
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees