Earn a 25% bonus when transferring Amex Membership Rewards to Hawaiian Airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express is back with another incentive to move your points to one of its transfer partners: Amex is offering a 25% bonus when transferring American Express Membership Rewards points to Hawaiian Airlines’ HawaiianMiles mileage program. Amex has consistently run this promo once per year in the past — each of which has offered a 25% bonus. You’ll get the bonus when you transfer Amex points to Hawaiian by Jun. 30, 2021.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Normally you can convert Membership Rewards points to HawaiianMiles at a 1:1 ratio in increments of 1,000 points. With the bonus, you get 25% more miles. For example, for every 1,000 Amex points you transfer, you’ll receive 1,250 HawaiianMiles.
Does it make sense to transfer Amex points to Hawaiian?
Hawaiian Airlines doesn’t have the strongest award chart, but redeeming miles might make sense if you’re getting a 25% transfer bonus. HawaiianMiles moved to a variable award pricing in 2019 and created different charts for West Coast and East Coast departures. In turn, this eliminated some sweet spots.
That said, there are a few times when it makes sense to transfer your Amex points to HawaiianMiles. Let’s take a closer look.
Low-cost award tickets from the U.S. mainland to Hawaii
As you can see in the award chart above, the airline has multiple redemption bands. You’ll generally find cheaper award prices on low-demand dates — think back-to-school season and the lull between holidays. The cheapest Hawaiian awards from the mainland are discounted West Coast to Hawaii tickets, which start at 17,500 HawaiianMiles, or 14,000 Amex points with the transfer bonus.
That said, I’m not able to find any award prices at this level at the moment. There are, however, many awards at the 20,000-mile level, which is just 16,000 Amex points one-way with the current transfer bonus. This is a great deal for using Amex points to get to Hawaii.
I’ve found flights from the East Coast — including Boston (BOS) to Honolulu (HNL) — for 30,000 HawaiianMiles one-way, or 24,000 Amex points with the transfer bonus.
Flights from Hawaii to Asia and the South Pacific
Hawaiian also operates an international route network from Hawaii to countries in Asia and the South Pacific. This includes Seoul (ICN), Sydney (SYD), Tahiti (PPT) and a handful of cities in Japan, among others. Award prices vary based on your destination and which award band your tickets fall into. You can see the full award chart on Hawaiian’s website.
The cheapest tickets are from Hawaii to Pago Pago and Tahiti, which start at just 24,750 miles one-way in economy class if discounted award space is available. Business-class flights on the same routes start at 47,500 miles one-way, which can be an excellent deal if you need to fly one of these routes.
Inter-island award tickets
Further, inter-island flights run as low as 7,500 miles one-way, or 6,000 Amex points with the transfer bonus. This can be great if you’re planning to visit multiple islands on your next trip to Hawaii or if you’re a local that wants to visit friends and family on another island.
Transferring Amex points to HawaiianMiles with a 25% bonus can be a good deal if you already have a flight you’d like to book. You’ll find the best deals on discounted economy tickets from the mainland U.S. to Hawaii. If you want to try Hawaiian’s business class product and find low-cost award space, business class can be a good deal too.
If you recently applied for The Platinum Card® from American Express and are wondering how to get the most value from your welcome offer, read our guide to the best ways to redeem 100,000 Membership Rewards after you spend $6,000 on purchases in your first six months of card membership.
Additional reporting by JT Genter and Brendan Dorsey
Featured photo of Oahu by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Apply and select your preferred metal Card design: classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Mehretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. There are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on eligible Equinox memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees