See if You’re Targeted for New Offers at Gas Stations and Superstores
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
We’re big fans of the Amex Offers program here at TPG, from hotel bonuses to savings on electronics to enhanced earning rates with Amazon. And if you haven’t checked the portal today, you may want to fire it up, as we’re seeing some new deals that are likely appealing to a wide swath of readers.
Several TPG staffers discovered this morning that they’d been targeted for new promotions at gas stations and superstores on several cards, including the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express.
Here’s what you need to know.
You’ll receive up to 400 Membership Rewards points by using your eligible card and spending a minimum of $40 in one or more purchases at a US gas station by November 1. You can even earn this up to three times (or 1,200 points).
However, we’re seeing a couple of different versions of this offer, so check your Amex Offers portal to make sure you’re getting the best deal. For instance, I received a similar offer on The Platinum Card® from American Express, but for 200 points instead of 400.
If you’re targeted for the 200-point offer, you’re looking at an added return of 10% on a $40 purchase, while those targeted for the 400-point offer would enjoy a 20% boost — both based on TPG’s most recent valuations. However, be sure to consider the opportunity cost of these offers through the end of September. If you have the Chase Freedom (No longer open to new applicants) in your wallet, you can currently earn 5 % cash back (5x points) on up to $1,500 worth of purchases at gas stations in Q3 (enrollment required). If you also have a full Ultimate Rewards-earning card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, that’s a 10% return.
That’s not the only offer we’re seeing today, either. TPG Family Editor Summer Hull was targeted for a 15% statement credit (up to $10 total) on online purchases at select superstores — such as Target, Walmart and Jet.com — through October 31, 2019. Note that this deal is only eligible for online purchases (including mobile apps) but excludes reloadable gift cards purchased online.
In addition, each individual merchant includes specific restrictions, so if you’re targeted for one of these offers, be sure your purchase will be eligible for the bonus. And the $10 limit means that it’s only eligible on the first $66.67 you spend at these stores’ websites. After that, consider shifting your spend to a card that earns a solid return on everyday purchases like the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card.
And of course, don’t forget to go through an online shopping portal prior to making the purchase, as these should stack with any cash-back or bonus-mile offers through those sites.
Featured photo by Virojt Changyencham/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.