Best for U.S. streaming rewards
If you’re spending hundreds (or thousands) on supermarkets, gas in the U.S. and more each month, the Blue Cash Preferred is the perfect card to maximize those purchases for pure cash. Plus, now you can enjoy the benefits of Buy Now, Pay Later with $0 intro plan fees when you use Plan It® to split up large purchases into monthly installments. Pay $0 plan fees on plans created during the first 12 months after account opening. Plans created after that will have a fixed monthly plan fee up to 1.33% of each purchase amount moved into a plan based on the plan duration, the APR that would otherwise apply to the purchase, and other factors. (Partner offer)
At a glance
- 6% 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%)
- 6% 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions
- 3% 3% Cash Back on transit including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more
- 3% 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations
- 1% 1% Cash Back on other purchases
- Earn a $250 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95.
If you like cash back and spend a lot on groceries at U.S. supermarkets, you can’t get much better than the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express. This card offers 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%). Check out our latest guides, news, and reviews for this card below.
- This card has one of the best earning structures out there for cash-back credit cards.
- The card does come with access to Amex Offers (enrollment required), which can save you even more money on specific purchases.
- There is a $6,000 spending cap on the U.S. supermarket bonus category, which may not work for those with large grocery budgets.
- You’ll have to pay a foreign transaction fee on international purchases, so it’s not a great choice when you’re traveling abroad.
Who is this card good for?
This card is good for any individual who’s looking for maximum returns on their everyday purchases. You’ll quickly find that it doesn’t take much to earn a ton of cash back with this card — even someone who spends $350 on groceries at U.S. supermarkets, $50 on select U.S. streaming service subscriptions, $100 on transit and $100 at U.S. gas stations each month will earn annual cash-back rewards equivalent of $360. That’s more than three times the cost of the annual fee! You can see how the rewards stack up the more you spend in these categories, so just make sure that your spending habits are an ideal match for this card.
This credit card is perfect for users who value cash back over any other rewards. No other card offers up to 6% returns on everyday purchases such as at U.S. supermarkets and on select U.S. streaming subscriptions. Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit.