Expanded: Amex offering $200 travel credit to Platinum cardholders
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated to reflect the expansion of this offer.
Most major card issuers have announced new benefits to help customers find value in their travel cards amid the coronavirus pandemic. For American Express, that meant adding wireless and streaming benefits to some cards, offering elevated earning rates, giving more time for welcome offer spending and more. But it’s not done yet.
In May, we reported that American Express would be offering select cardholders of The Platinum Card® from American Express up to $200 in statement credits toward Amex Travel purchases. Doctor of Credit writes that this offer has now been expanded.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
The up to $200 Amex Travel credit is available to personal cardholders who renew their card between April 2020 and March 2021. Originally, this was only available for renewals through December.
The credit is valid between August 2020 and December 2021 and can be used for eligible travel purchases through the American Express Travel Portal. Best of all, this credit is in addition to the card’s up to $200 annual airline fee credit. The card comes with a $550 annual fee (see rates and fees).
Amex Travel doesn’t always offer the lowest price, but it does provide flexibility in how you can use your credit. You can use the portal to book flights, hotels, car rentals and cruises.
Both prepaid and postpaid bookings will trigger the credit. Additionally, an Amex spokesperson has confirmed to TPG that both Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts and International Airline Program bookings are eligible. You can find a bar that shows your progress toward using the credit on the main page of your online account.
Related reading: 6 Amex Platinum benefits you can use from home
Between the already-existing perks that can be used from home, such as the Uber and Saks credits and Amex’s recent coronavirus-related additions, there’s already plenty of reason to hold on to the Amex Platinum for at least another year — the travel credit is just the cherry on top. Hopefully, the travel credit will be added as a permanent feature in the future, similar to the Chase Sapphire Reserve and its $300 annual travel credit.
Related reading: Why I’m keeping my Amex Platinum even though I’m not traveling
Although the credit will only be offered to personal cardholders, Amex has previously announced several other limited-time credits exclusively for cardholders of The Business Platinum Card® from American Express. These include an additional up to $200 in Dell credits for U.S. purchases and up to $320 in shipping and wireless credits from U.S. service providers, as well as an up to $200 “appreciation credit” for select cardholders.
Related reading: Amex Platinum 100k, American Express® Gold Card 60k & 75k offers available via CardMatch (offers subject to change at anytime)
Featured image by Wyatt Smith/The Points Guy.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees