Expanded: Amex offering $200 travel credit to Platinum cardholders
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated to reflect the expansion of this offer.
Most major card issuers have announced new benefits to help customers find value in their travel cards amid the coronavirus pandemic. For American Express, that meant adding wireless and streaming benefits to some cards, offering elevated earning rates, giving more time for welcome offer spending and more. But it’s not done yet.
In May, we reported that American Express would be offering select cardholders of The Platinum Card® from American Express up to $200 in statement credits toward Amex Travel purchases. Doctor of Credit writes that this offer has now been expanded.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
The up to $200 Amex Travel credit is available to personal cardholders who renew their card between April 2020 and March 2021. Originally, this was only available for renewals through December.
The credit is valid between August 2020 and December 2021 and can be used for eligible travel purchases through the American Express Travel Portal. Best of all, this credit is in addition to the card’s up to $200 annual airline fee credit. The card comes with a $550 annual fee (see rates and fees).
Amex Travel doesn’t always offer the lowest price, but it does provide flexibility in how you can use your credit. You can use the portal to book flights, hotels, car rentals and cruises.
Both prepaid and postpaid bookings will trigger the credit. Additionally, an Amex spokesperson has confirmed to TPG that both Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts and International Airline Program bookings are eligible. You can find a bar that shows your progress toward using the credit on the main page of your online account.
Related reading: 6 Amex Platinum benefits you can use from home
Between the already-existing perks that can be used from home, such as the Uber and Saks credits and Amex’s recent coronavirus-related additions, there’s already plenty of reason to hold on to the Amex Platinum for at least another year — the travel credit is just the cherry on top. Hopefully, the travel credit will be added as a permanent feature in the future, similar to the Chase Sapphire Reserve and its $300 annual travel credit.
Related reading: Why I’m keeping my Amex Platinum even though I’m not traveling
Although the credit will only be offered to personal cardholders, Amex has previously announced several other limited-time credits exclusively for cardholders of The Business Platinum Card® from American Express. These include an additional up to $200 in Dell credits for U.S. purchases and up to $320 in shipping and wireless credits from U.S. service providers, as well as an up to $200 “appreciation credit” for select cardholders.
Related reading: Amex Platinum 100k, American Express® Gold Card 60k & 75k offers available via CardMatch (offers subject to change at anytime)
Featured image by Wyatt Smith/The Points Guy.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.