American reopening additional Admirals Clubs, introduces new food options
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With summer around the corner, American Airlines is preparing to welcome back many of its most loyal flyers.
The Fort Worth-based carrier is reopening additional Admirals Club lounges throughout the month, two of which are located at hub airports. The Phoenix (PHX) location at Gate B7, as well as the Miami (MIA) outpost at Gate D15, will once again welcome select premium passengers later this month. American will also reopen its Atlanta (ATL) location in May.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Other previously reopened lounges — like those in Austin (AUS), Nashville (BNA) and Houston (IAH) — will extend their operating schedules to seven days a week. You’ll want to check aa.com prior to travel for the latest reopening status and hours of operation.
In total, the carrier plans to have 27 reopened lounges across 21 U.S. cities by Memorial Day Weekend, the unofficial start to the summer travel season. Note that AA’s premium Flagship Lounges remain shuttered nationwide with no reopening date in sight.
In addition to reopening more clubs, AA is also introducing a revamped for-purchase food menu, including a handful of items designed for families traveling with children. New selections include an $11 chilled quinoa salad and $12 southwestern power bowl for the adults, and $9 chicken bites and $10 turkey cheddar sandwiches for the kids.
The carrier is also piloting a new touchless ordering and entry system for its club at the Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) outpost in Terminal A. Later this month, you’ll be able to order signature food offerings and beverages on your mobile device, which will be delivered to your seat by a server.
Additionally, American is deploying facial recognition technology at the entrance to the Terminal A location, which will be used to pull up your membership details without needing to stop at the welcome desk. This trial will roll out across AA’s lounges at its DFW hub in the coming weeks.
American isn’t the only airline to reopen many of its lounges. Delta CEO Ed Bastian recently told TPG that all of Delta’s Sky Club airport lounges will once again be open by the summer. United, on the other hand, has only reopened select lounges in its hub airports.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees