Could American’s new DFW catering kitchen help with on-time flights?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will build a new kitchen for the catering operation at its Dallas/Fort Worth hub, with the carrier saying the project will make flight operations out of its home base more reliable.
American’s current kitchen at DFW was constructed in 1982 and it is no longer sufficient to handle 900 departures from the airport each day.
The airline said the new kitchen — expected to go into operation in 2022 — will make a difference in its on-time operations at DFW.
“In addition to more space, the new kitchen will provide updated equipment and efficiencies to improve our catering operation, which improves our reliability and provides a better experience for our customers,” Cedric Rockamore, American’s vice president of DFW of hub operations said in a statement.
American told the Associated Press that backups at the current kitchen were responsible for 2,300 flight delays at the airport between Memorial Day and Labor Day this year, or about 20 delays per day.
Those delays were part of a rough stretch for American, which struggled with on-time operations from spring into summer as it grappled with an alleged slowdown by mechanics, a pattern of stormy weather and the grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX. American’s operations have since improved.
Going forward, American hopes the new $100 million state-of-the-art kitchen will both help accommodate its DFW growth and cater planes more efficiently for its growing DFW flight schedule.
The airport’s Board of Directors approved the plan on Thursday. LSG Sky Chefs will continue to handle American’s inflight catering out of Dallas when the new facility opens.
Featured photo by JT Genter/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees