Get $20 off your next Amazon order using just 1 Citi ThankYou point
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Editor’s note: This post is regularly updated with the latest promotion.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner.
If you’re planning to take advantage of Amazon’s Cyber Monday deals this week and hold a Citi ThankYou card, we’ve got good news: There’s currently a promotion from Amazon allowing targeted Citi cardholders to save $20 on eligible purchases of $50 or more by redeeming just one ThankYou point.
We generally don’t recommend paying with your points, given that each point is equivalent to just 0.8 cents on Amazon, and we value Citi points at 1.7 cents apiece. But redeeming a single point can unlock excellent value during targeted promotions like this one.
You will need to check your eligibility and activate the offer before placing your order. Amazon has offered similar versions of this deal for Citi cardholders in the past, but you might be eligible now even if you haven’t been in the past. The current promotion is valid through Dec. 31, 2020.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
How to get $20 off by redeeming one Citi ThankYou point
Checking to see if you have been targeted for the discount and activating it is quite simple. Just follow these steps:
- Link your Citi ThankYou account to Amazon if you haven’t already done so. It can take up to 24 hours for your card to be linked before you can activate the offer, so don’t wait.
- Check here to see if you’re targeted for the offer.
- Click the “Click to activate” button before shopping.
- Load up your cart with eligible items sold by Amazon (Amazon gift cards excluded) totaling $50 or more.
- Select your linked Citi card for the payment method.
- Apply just one point and pay for the rest with your card.
If you were targeted for the offer and followed all of these steps, then the discount should automatically be reflected on the checkout page — no promo code is necessary.
The fine print
- Offer is targeted to select Citi cardholders.
- The maximum you can save with this promotion is $20.
- The promotion runs through Dec. 31, 2020, or when 10,000 customers have redeemed this offer, whichever is earlier — so act fast.
- Offer is only good on items sold by Amazon. Be sure to look for the “sold by Amazon” or “sold by Amazon Digital Services.” Items that are ‘fulfilled by Amazon’ or ‘Prime Eligible’ may or may not qualify.
- Offer does not apply to Amazon gift cards or digital content.
- This offer is not available to eligible Citi cardmembers who have previously used ThankYou Points to shop at Amazon.com in the past twelve months, though this usually isn’t strictly enforced.
Things to keep in mind
If there isn’t anything sitting on your wishlist or those items don’t meet the requirements for this promotion, there’s still a great way to take advantage of this new promotion: gift cards. Although Amazon gift cards are explicitly excluded, you may be able to get the discount when buying third-party gift cards such as:
- Airbnb gift cards
- Uber gift cards
- Netflix gift cards
- Southwest gift cards
- Starbucks gift cards
- And more
You will need to use your Citi credit card for this purchase to use a ThankYou point. If you have an Amazon gift card lying around, you may be able to stack it with this deal. The terms say that you can only get this discount one time, but in similar promotions in the past, targeted cardholders could take advantage of the deal multiple times.
Note that when you enroll in the promotion, your Citi card will become your default payment method for a duration of six hours. If you make an additional purchase, be sure to check which payment method is selected before checkout.
If you weren’t targeted for this offer, try removing your Citi card from your Amazon Wallet, adding it back, re-enrolling it in Shop with Points, and checking eligibility the next day.
This new offer from Citi ThankYou Rewards and Amazon could be a great way to save you money on your Cyber Monday purchases this year. If you haven’t already activated Shop with Points for your ThankYou Rewards account, be sure to do so now so you don’t miss out on this discount.
Featured image by Jason Alden/Bloomberg/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.