Get $20 off your next Amazon order using just 1 Citi ThankYou point
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Editor’s note: This post is regularly updated with the latest promotion.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner.
If you’re planning to take advantage of Amazon’s Cyber Monday deals this week and hold a Citi ThankYou card, we’ve got good news: There’s currently a promotion from Amazon allowing targeted Citi cardholders to save $20 on eligible purchases of $50 or more by redeeming just one ThankYou point.
We generally don’t recommend paying with your points, given that each point is equivalent to just 0.8 cents on Amazon, and we value Citi points at 1.7 cents apiece. But redeeming a single point can unlock excellent value during targeted promotions like this one.
You will need to check your eligibility and activate the offer before placing your order. Amazon has offered similar versions of this deal for Citi cardholders in the past, but you might be eligible now even if you haven’t been in the past. The current promotion is valid through Dec. 31, 2020.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
How to get $20 off by redeeming one Citi ThankYou point
Checking to see if you have been targeted for the discount and activating it is quite simple. Just follow these steps:
- Link your Citi ThankYou account to Amazon if you haven’t already done so. It can take up to 24 hours for your card to be linked before you can activate the offer, so don’t wait.
- Check here to see if you’re targeted for the offer.
- Click the “Click to activate” button before shopping.
- Load up your cart with eligible items sold by Amazon (Amazon gift cards excluded) totaling $50 or more.
- Select your linked Citi card for the payment method.
- Apply just one point and pay for the rest with your card.
If you were targeted for the offer and followed all of these steps, then the discount should automatically be reflected on the checkout page — no promo code is necessary.
The fine print
- Offer is targeted to select Citi cardholders.
- The maximum you can save with this promotion is $20.
- The promotion runs through Dec. 31, 2020, or when 10,000 customers have redeemed this offer, whichever is earlier — so act fast.
- Offer is only good on items sold by Amazon. Be sure to look for the “sold by Amazon” or “sold by Amazon Digital Services.” Items that are ‘fulfilled by Amazon’ or ‘Prime Eligible’ may or may not qualify.
- Offer does not apply to Amazon gift cards or digital content.
- This offer is not available to eligible Citi cardmembers who have previously used ThankYou Points to shop at Amazon.com in the past twelve months, though this usually isn’t strictly enforced.
Things to keep in mind
If there isn’t anything sitting on your wishlist or those items don’t meet the requirements for this promotion, there’s still a great way to take advantage of this new promotion: gift cards. Although Amazon gift cards are explicitly excluded, you may be able to get the discount when buying third-party gift cards such as:
- Airbnb gift cards
- Uber gift cards
- Netflix gift cards
- Southwest gift cards
- Starbucks gift cards
- And more
You will need to use your Citi credit card for this purchase to use a ThankYou point. If you have an Amazon gift card lying around, you may be able to stack it with this deal. The terms say that you can only get this discount one time, but in similar promotions in the past, targeted cardholders could take advantage of the deal multiple times.
Note that when you enroll in the promotion, your Citi card will become your default payment method for a duration of six hours. If you make an additional purchase, be sure to check which payment method is selected before checkout.
If you weren’t targeted for this offer, try removing your Citi card from your Amazon Wallet, adding it back, re-enrolling it in Shop with Points, and checking eligibility the next day.
This new offer from Citi ThankYou Rewards and Amazon could be a great way to save you money on your Cyber Monday purchases this year. If you haven’t already activated Shop with Points for your ThankYou Rewards account, be sure to do so now so you don’t miss out on this discount.
Featured image by Jason Alden/Bloomberg/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees