Save up to $50 on Amazon purchases using just one Amex point with this targeted deal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amazon is starting off the year with a targeted, albeit very popular, deal.
While Amazon offers a variety of these offers from time to time, the deal we are seeing so far today is save 20% off an Amazon purchase, up to $50 off, by using one Amex Membership Rewards point.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Like many Amazon offers, these deals are targeted, so not everyone will have one of these offers available. Click here to see which version of the offer may be applicable to your account.
As Doctor of Credit shared, I had the offer for 20% off purchases in my Amazon account, up to $50 saved. I’ll happily trade away a single Membership Rewards point from a card such as the American Express® Gold Card or American Express® Green Card to save 20%. Even if I didn’t need any physical products from Amazon in the near term, I can just stock up on a dining or retailer gift card with that savings right now.
Here are the steps for turning just one Amex Membership Rewards point into serious Amazon savings:
- Check to see if you received a targeted offer.
- Activate the offer in your Amazon account.
- Load up your cart with eligible items sold by Amazon instead of by third parties (and yes, most gift cards count)
- Make sure to only use one point at checkout as shown below — it will default to paying with all points, which you probably don’t want to do as the return is poor.
- Do a happy dance for saving up to $50 on Amazon. You’ll see the savings in your cart if it all worked properly.
The offer expires at 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 29, or after 80,000 Amazon customers have redeemed offers — whichever comes first. You will need to use your Amex credit card for this purchase in order to use a Membership Rewards point, but here are the best credit cards to use on future Amazon purchases. And if you have an Amazon gift card lying around, you can stack using it with this deal. Just be very careful you aren’t accidentally paying for your order with all Amex points as that would not be a good use of points — use just one point for max return.
Featured image by Leon Neal/Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees