Save up to $50 on Amazon purchases using just one Amex point with this targeted deal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amazon’s popular Amex deal is back, giving targeted customers an opportunity to save up to $50 on eligible purchases.
Generally, we don’t recommend redeeming Membership Rewards points on Amazon, given that each point is equivalent to just 0.7 cents and we value Amex points at 2 cents apiece, but there are exceptions to that rule. And, since you can take advantage of this particular offer when you redeem just one Membership Rewards point, earned with cards like the American Express® Gold Card or American Express® Green Card, this deal certainly fits the bill.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Currently, certain Amazon customers will be eligible to take 20% off many purchases, up to a $50 discount.
Note that this is a targeted offer. You can confirm eligibility for the promotion right here.
While products must be sold by Amazon in order to be eligible for any of the discounts — third-party listings won’t trigger any savings — you may be able to take advantage by stocking up on dining or retailer gift cards.
Here are the steps for turning just one Amex Membership Rewards point into serious Amazon savings:
- Check here to see if you have a targeted offer
- Activate the offer in your Amazon account
- Load up your cart with eligible items sold by Amazon instead of by third parties (yes, most gift cards count)
- Make sure to only use one point at checkout as shown below to avoid losing value by covering the entire purchase with points
Assuming everything worked, you should see the offer reflected in your account.
This time around, the offer is set to expire at 11:59 p.m. PT on Apr. 20, or after 40,000 Amazon customers have redeemed offers — whichever comes first.
While we generally recommend using these cards for Amazon purchases, after redeeming one Membership Rewards point, you’ll need to cover the rest of your transaction using an Amex card this time around, though you can also apply an Amazon gift card balance, if there’s one attached to your account.
Featured image by Leon Neal/Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.