Aloha! The nation’s longest domestic flight is back, and you can book with miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The nation’s longest domestic route is set to make a comeback.
That will come courtesy of Hawaiian Airlines, which announced on Wednesday Oct 21 that it would resume nonstop service from its Honolulu hub to both Boston and New York-JFK.
Boston flights will begin Dec. 18, with Hawaiian offering two flights a week on an Airbus A330 wide-body jet. With that, Hawaiian will reclaim the title for having the longest domestic flight within the United States. The route covers 5,095 miles and flight time is listed at 11 hours, 35 minutes westbound and 9 hours, 30 minutes on the eastbound leg.
To New York, Hawaiian will resume service on Dec. 15. The airline will fly three flights a week, also on an Airbus A330. The Honolulu-JFK nonstop clocks in at 4,983 miles and is scheduled for 11 hours, 20 minutes on the Hawaii-bound leg.
Hawaiian’s service will resume just in time for Christmas and the winter travel season, giving pent-up holiday-seekers more options to get to Hawaii just as the winter sets in across the U.S.
Will Hawaii let you visit? Hawaii again welcoming visitors; Here’s everything you need to know
That’s helped Hawaii restart a flow of visitors that is vital to its tourism-heavy economy.
By the time the New York and Boston flights resume, Hawaiian says it will have restarted service to all 13 of its destinations on the U.S. mainland after flights to Long Beach, California, resume Dec. 15.
“We’re pleased with increased demand for travel to Hawai‘i, and we’re excited to once again offer our East Coast guests the convenience of our nonstop flights as we welcome them to the islands with new health and safety measures,” Brent Overbeek, Hawaiian’s senior vice president of revenue management and network planning, said in a statement.
Travelers looking to book a seat on the resumed routes will have several mileage options.
Flights can booked on Hawaiian Airlines flights via the carrier’s own HawaiianMiles program. The program is a transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards, so it’s easy to get miles that way. But, the program uses dynamic pricing, so you can expect to pay 17,500 to 130,000 miles each way in main cabin and 40,000 to 130,000 miles each way in first class. Luckily, you can also redeem miles with several partner airlines to fly Hawaiian Airlines including Korean Air SkyPass, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club and JetBlue TrueBlue.
Currently, there is ample award availability when booking with HawaiianMiles. A Wednesday evening spot-check showed nonstop flights from Boston and New York JFK to Honolulu in January and found lots of availability. For most dates, there were 30,000-point one-way awards to Hawaii in main cabin and 130,000 one-way awards for lie-flat first class.
TPG writer Katie Genter contributed to this story.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees