Hawaiian Airlines Launches the Country’s Longest Domestic Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaiian Airlines has launched its newest route with service between Boston Logan (BOS) and Honolulu (HNL) on Friday, now the longest domestic route in the United States. Flight HA89 left Boston on Friday morning with almost 1.5 tons of live lobster onboard, along with TPG’s own Wallace Cotton, who will be reviewing the new route for TPG.
An announcement from the airline about the new route referenced the fact that Boston was the largest US market without a direct flight option to Hawaii: ticket sales for passengers flying from New England to the islands last year generated almost $80 million dollars. In 2018, about 127,000 people from the region – more than half of them from Massachusetts — visited Hawaii, according to the Hawaii Tourism Authority. The airline is hoping to capitalize on these figures.
Flights from HNL to BOS are schedule to take around 10 hours and cover some 5,095 miles. For passengers flying from BOS to HNL, that flight time goes up to 11.5 hours. According to Cotton, flight HA89 from Boston took 11 hours and 11 minutes.
Hawaiian will be operating an Airbus A330-200 on the route, holding 278 passengers in a two-class configuration.
The route will operate 5 times a week in both directions:
- HA89 Boston (BOS) 8:55am Departure → Honolulu (HNL) 2:35pm Arrival
- HA90 Honolulu (HNL) 1:45pm Departure → Boston (BOS) 6:00am (+1) Arrival
Hawaiian Airlines already held one of the longest domestic flights in the US with its nonstop service between New York (JFK) and Honolulu (HNL). This new route clocks in at 100 miles longer than the New York flight.
Stay tuned for TPG‘s full review of the flight.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Wallace Cotton/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.