Hawaiian Airlines Launches the Country’s Longest Domestic Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaiian Airlines has launched its newest route with service between Boston Logan (BOS) and Honolulu (HNL) on Friday, now the longest domestic route in the United States. Flight HA89 left Boston on Friday morning with almost 1.5 tons of live lobster onboard, along with TPG’s own Wallace Cotton, who will be reviewing the new route for TPG.
An announcement from the airline about the new route referenced the fact that Boston was the largest US market without a direct flight option to Hawaii: ticket sales for passengers flying from New England to the islands last year generated almost $80 million dollars. In 2018, about 127,000 people from the region – more than half of them from Massachusetts — visited Hawaii, according to the Hawaii Tourism Authority. The airline is hoping to capitalize on these figures.
Flights from HNL to BOS are schedule to take around 10 hours and cover some 5,095 miles. For passengers flying from BOS to HNL, that flight time goes up to 11.5 hours. According to Cotton, flight HA89 from Boston took 11 hours and 11 minutes.
Hawaiian will be operating an Airbus A330-200 on the route, holding 278 passengers in a two-class configuration.
The route will operate 5 times a week in both directions:
- HA89 Boston (BOS) 8:55am Departure → Honolulu (HNL) 2:35pm Arrival
- HA90 Honolulu (HNL) 1:45pm Departure → Boston (BOS) 6:00am (+1) Arrival
Hawaiian Airlines already held one of the longest domestic flights in the US with its nonstop service between New York (JFK) and Honolulu (HNL). This new route clocks in at 100 miles longer than the New York flight.
Stay tuned for TPG‘s full review of the flight.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Wallace Cotton/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.