Hawaiian Airlines Launches the Country’s Longest Domestic Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaiian Airlines has launched its newest route with service between Boston Logan (BOS) and Honolulu (HNL) on Friday, now the longest domestic route in the United States. Flight HA89 left Boston on Friday morning with almost 1.5 tons of live lobster onboard, along with TPG’s own Wallace Cotton, who will be reviewing the new route for TPG.
An announcement from the airline about the new route referenced the fact that Boston was the largest US market without a direct flight option to Hawaii: ticket sales for passengers flying from New England to the islands last year generated almost $80 million dollars. In 2018, about 127,000 people from the region – more than half of them from Massachusetts — visited Hawaii, according to the Hawaii Tourism Authority. The airline is hoping to capitalize on these figures.
Flights from HNL to BOS are schedule to take around 10 hours and cover some 5,095 miles. For passengers flying from BOS to HNL, that flight time goes up to 11.5 hours. According to Cotton, flight HA89 from Boston took 11 hours and 11 minutes.
Hawaiian will be operating an Airbus A330-200 on the route, holding 278 passengers in a two-class configuration.
The route will operate 5 times a week in both directions:
- HA89 Boston (BOS) 8:55am Departure → Honolulu (HNL) 2:35pm Arrival
- HA90 Honolulu (HNL) 1:45pm Departure → Boston (BOS) 6:00am (+1) Arrival
Hawaiian Airlines already held one of the longest domestic flights in the US with its nonstop service between New York (JFK) and Honolulu (HNL). This new route clocks in at 100 miles longer than the New York flight.
Stay tuned for TPG‘s full review of the flight.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Wallace Cotton/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees