Hawaiian Will Launch the Longest Domestic Flight in the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaiian Airlines already had one of the longest domestic flights in the US with its nonstop service between New York (JFK) and Honolulu (HNL). Now, the airline has announced its launching a flight that goes even further –and that’s all within the United States.
Hawaiian will begin flying between Boston Logan (BOS) and Honolulu on April 4, 2019, operating an Airbus A330-200 on the new route. The flight clocks in at nearly 5,100 miles each way — about 100 miles longer than its New York flight. It’ll be the first nonstop flight between Boston and Hawaii, and it’s the largest US market without nonstop service to the state.
The route will operate 5 times a week in both directions:
- HA89 Boston (BOS) 8:55am Departure → Honolulu (HNL) 2:35pm Arrival
- HA90 Honolulu (HNL) 1:45pm Departure → Boston (BOS) 6:00am (+1) Arrival
Boston to Honolulu is blocked for 11 hours and 40 minutes of flight time and the return is scheduled for 10 hours and 15 minutes in the air.
Hawaiian has two aircraft in its fleet that could handle such a distance, the wide-body A330-200 or Boeing 767. The carrier went with its newer A330 that holds 278 passengers in a two-class configuration. There are 18 lie-flat first class seats laid out in a 2-2-2 formation.
In the back of the cabin, you’ll find 260 coach class seats (68 are extra legroom “economy comfort” seats) laid out in a 2-4-2 formation.
TPG review’s editor Nick Ellis flew both products on the nonstop between JFK and HNL and enjoyed each experience, but said you likely won’t be wowed in economy. Both flights received high marks for friendly and attentive crew members.
Hawaii’s CEO Peter Ingram told the Boston Globe that prices won’t be much higher than competitors even though it’s the only nonstop option — that’s because its catering to leisure travelers and not business people with an expense account. The airline is celebrating the new route with promotional fares for $617 round-trip prices in coach and $1776 in business, both of which appeared to be available after searching on Google Flights.
Ingram said the airline’s success on the JFK route led to them setting up shop in Boston.
“That was the time we got serious about expanding into the eastern part of the US,” said Ingram. “We see Boston as a terrific opportunity. We’re also encouraged by all the growth in long-haul and international services in Boston in recent years. It gives us the confidence about the market . . . to have the opportunity to grow.”
Hawaiian is a partner with JetBlue, so you can use TrueBlue points on the carrier. The redemption values vary from 1 to 2 cents per TrueBlue point — which usually has a fixed value of about 1.3-1.4 cents each.
Hawaiian’s mileage program is also a transfer partner of the American Express Membership Rewards, although you likely won’t get the most value out of your points with the carrier.
Featured image by Tomás Del Coro / Flickr.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees