Allegiant picks secondary Charlotte airport for newest base
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Allegiant Air is expanding in the Charlotte area with plans for a new aircraft base in nearby Concord, North Carolina.
The Las Vegas-based discounter will base two Airbus A320 family jets at the Concord-Padgett Regional Airport (USA) starting Oct. 7, Allegiant said Wednesday. The airport is a roughly 17-mile drive from downtown Charlotte and only 20 miles from Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT).
Allegiant plans to invest roughly $50 million and hire around 66 local staff to support the new base.
“Having locally-based operations will mean opportunities for expanded hours, as well as more – and more frequent – flight offerings for residents and visitors alike,” said Allegiant vice president of government affairs Keith Hansen on the new Concord base.
Allegiant is the only airline offering scheduled passenger service from Concord, which it added to its network amid a push into larger metro areas in 2013. In adding Concord, Allegiant effectively turned the facility into a secondary airport for the Charlotte area — a tactic Allegiant has used in other markets as well.
Allegiant currently serves seven destinations from Concord: Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Destin/Fort Walton Beach (VPS), New Orleans (MSY), Orlando Sanford (SFB), Punta Gorda (PGD), St. Petersburg-Clearwater (PIE) and West Palm Beach (PBI).
The new Concord base will increasingly pit Allegiant against American Airlines fortress hub at Charlotte Douglas airport. American recently boosted schedules to more than 700 departures on peak days from Charlotte, which it considers one of its most profitable hubs.
American serves all of the markets from Charlotte that Allegiant flies to nonstop from Concord, according to Cirium schedules. However, American flies to Fort Myers (RSW) instead of Punta Gorda, Orlando International (MCO) instead of Orlando Sanford, and Tampa (TPA) instead of St. Petersburg.
Allegiant plans to grow capacity by double-digits in 2020. That growth includes the addition of Boston Logan (BOS), Chicago Midway (MDW) and Houston Hobby (HOU) to its route map.
Featured image by Max Prosperi/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees