Allegiant Air latest to plan base in booming Nashville
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Allegiant Air is the latest to bet its planes on the rapidly growing Nashville market with plans for a new base.
The Las Vegas-based discounter will base two Airbus A320 family aircraft at Nashville International Airport (BNA) from February, a move that will see it hire 66 staff and invest $50 million in the local market, Allegiant said Tuesday.
“As a premier destination for visitors from all over the world, and a growing, diverse city attracting new residents, Nashville hits all the right notes for an Allegiant base,” said Keith Hansen, vice-president of government affairs at Allegiant, in a statement. “Having locally-based aircraft and crews will give us a wide range of options for new service, meaning more opportunities for affordable and convenient nonstop flights.”
Allegiant, which has served Nashville since 2018, flies to 12 destinations from the city, including Orlando Sanford (SFB) and St. Petersburg/Clearwater (PIE) in Florida, and Richmond (RIC) in Virginia. Notably, the airline does not fly to its main western bases in Las Vegas (LAS) or Phoenix Mesa (AZA) from the Middle Tennessee city.
Allegiant is just the latest carrier to bet on Nashville’s growth. Spirit Airlines began service to the city earlier in October and already has plans to add four more routes in 2020, and Delta Air Lines labelled Nashville a “focus city” — which can mean more nonstop flights or an increased local sales presence — in June.
Nashville airport saw passenger numbers jump 15% to 17.2 million during its 2019 fiscal year that ended in June, according to airport data. To accommodate the growth, the airport is in the midst of an expansion program, dubbed “BNA Vision,” that includes an expanded terminal and new concourse.
Southwest Airlines has been the largest carrier in Nashville since the 1990s, after American Airlines closed its hub at the airport in 1995. The Dallas-based discounter carried more than half of the airport’s passengers in 2018, U.S. Department of Transportation data via Diio by Cirium shows.
Featured image courtesy of Allegiant Air.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees