Allegiant Air to make Des Moines its latest new aircraft base
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Discount juggernaut Allegiant Air is on a roll in opening new aircraft bases around the U.S.. It’s latest will be Des Moines, with the Iowa capital coming online starting May 14.
The Las Vegas-based ultra-low-cost carrier will base two Airbus A320 family aircraft at Des Moines International Airport (DSM) just in time for the summer travel season, Allegiant announced Friday. The airline plans to staff the base with at least 66 pilot, flight attendant, mechanic and ground personnel jobs.
Des Moines joins Nashville (BNA) among airports where Allegiant plans to open an aircraft and crew base in 2020.
“Having locally-based aircraft and crews will open up a wide range of options for new service and more flights throughout the day,” Keith Hansen, Allegiant’s vice-president of government affairs, said in a statement. “We’re excited to bring more opportunities for affordable, convenient travel, and expand Allegiant’s presence as a hometown airline.”
Des Moines will be the 20th aircraft base for Allegiant. Its bases range from cities where it has major operations, like Las Vegas (LAS) and Orlando Sanford (SFB), to smaller points that are sizable destinations in-and-of-themselves, like Asheville (AVL).
The airline has served Des Moines since 2003. Today, it flies to six destinations from the city: Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix Mesa (AZA), and Orlando Sanford (SFB), Punta Gorda (PGD), St. Petersburg (PIE) and Sarasota/Bradenton (SRQ) all in Florida, according to Cirium schedule data.
Allegiant is due to add Destin-Fort Walton Beach (VPS) in Florida, and Los Angeles (LAX) — while suspending Sarasota — to its Des Moines network by May, the data shows.
Featured image courtesy of Allegiant Air.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees