Allegiant Air to make Des Moines its latest new aircraft base
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Discount juggernaut Allegiant Air is on a roll in opening new aircraft bases around the U.S.. It’s latest will be Des Moines, with the Iowa capital coming online starting May 14.
The Las Vegas-based ultra-low-cost carrier will base two Airbus A320 family aircraft at Des Moines International Airport (DSM) just in time for the summer travel season, Allegiant announced Friday. The airline plans to staff the base with at least 66 pilot, flight attendant, mechanic and ground personnel jobs.
Des Moines joins Nashville (BNA) among airports where Allegiant plans to open an aircraft and crew base in 2020.
“Having locally-based aircraft and crews will open up a wide range of options for new service and more flights throughout the day,” Keith Hansen, Allegiant’s vice-president of government affairs, said in a statement. “We’re excited to bring more opportunities for affordable, convenient travel, and expand Allegiant’s presence as a hometown airline.”
Des Moines will be the 20th aircraft base for Allegiant. Its bases range from cities where it has major operations, like Las Vegas (LAS) and Orlando Sanford (SFB), to smaller points that are sizable destinations in-and-of-themselves, like Asheville (AVL).
The airline has served Des Moines since 2003. Today, it flies to six destinations from the city: Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix Mesa (AZA), and Orlando Sanford (SFB), Punta Gorda (PGD), St. Petersburg (PIE) and Sarasota/Bradenton (SRQ) all in Florida, according to Cirium schedule data.
Allegiant is due to add Destin-Fort Walton Beach (VPS) in Florida, and Los Angeles (LAX) — while suspending Sarasota — to its Des Moines network by May, the data shows.
Featured image courtesy of Allegiant Air.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees