Earn elite-qualifying miles, bonus miles at restaurants with your Alaska credit card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
On June 1, Alaska Airlines announced three new promotions to help its members earn additional elite-qualifying and redeemable miles during the coronavirus outbreak. Two of these promotions are new, and one is an extension of the airline’s existing 50% elite-qualifying mile bonus on Alaska flights.
Let’s take a closer look at all of the promotions Alaska Airlines announced yesterday.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Earn elite-qualifying miles, bonus miles on dining with Alaska credit cards
Those with an Alaska Airlines cobranded credit card will now earn 2,500 elite-qualifying miles for every $5,000 spent on their card before Sept. 30. You can earn up to 10,000 bonus elite-qualifying miles with this promotion, and the promotion applies to both the business and personal versions of the Alaska Airlines credit card.
Further, those with an Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card — the personal version of the Alaska cobranded credit card — will earn 1 additional mile per dollar on dining and takeout through July 31. This promotion specifically includes delivery services, so you’ll earn 2 Alaska miles per dollar when you order from services like Uber Eats and Grubhub.
Alaska extending 50% bonus elite miles
In addition, the airline has extended its existing 50% bonus elite-qualifying mile promotion. Now, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan members will earn 50% bonus elite-qualifying miles on all Alaska Airlines flights through the end of the year. This promotion was previously set to expire on May 31.
To recap, this promotion only applies to flights operated by Alaska Airlines — not flights operated by one of its global partners. This includes flights booked before the promotion was announced. Registration was previously required for this promotion, but the airline has now automatically enrolled all Mileage Plan accounts.
It’s great to see Alaska Airlines offer more ways to its members to earn elite-qualifying miles during the coronavirus outbreak. While the airline has extended elite status through 2021 for all existing members, these promotions offer a way for travelers to earn or upgrade their elite status tier. This is especially true for earning elite-qualifying miles with a credit card — those hoping to earn Alaska elite status when travel resumes can get a headstart by charging everyday purchases to their Alaska card.
Further, it’s great to see Alaska Airlines work to support restaurants by offering an extra mile per dollar spent at restaurants and delivery services. While the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card still isn’t the best credit card for dining purchases, you’ll earn a nice 3.6% return on dining purchases based on TPG’s most recent valuation of Alaska Mileage Plan miles.
Featured photo by Vacclav/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees