Extended: Alaska offering bonus elite-qualifying miles through June
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Editor’s note: This article has been updated with the latest information and offers.
Alaska Airlines has yet again extended its lucrative bonus for flyers. The airline previously announced that it extended all Mileage Plan elite status through December 2021. In addition, it is now extending a promotion that provides flyers with bonus elite-qualifying miles.
New to The Points Guy? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
All Alaska Mileage Plan members are now eligible to earn a 50% bonus on elite-qualifying miles for Alaska-operated flights through June 30, 2021. Previously, this bonus was only available for flights through the end of 2020. This is a simple way to boost your prospects for elite status qualification with Alaska this year. While registration was initially required, that is no longer the case for this promotion.
Here are some additional details:
- The offer only applies to Alaska flights (including those operated by Horizon and Skywest). It’s not applicable on partner airlines — though remember that you can still earn bonus redeemable miles on all long-haul partner flights through the end of the year.
- There’s no limit to the bonus elite-qualifying miles you can earn through this promotion.
- Any Mileage Plan member can register; it’s not limited to current MVP elite travelers.
The offer has been extended around the same time that Alaska announced how it’s changing how you can earn status. Potentially, it’s now easier to earn status, as you’ll earn miles the same whether you’re flying with Alaska or with a partner airline.
Additionally, the airline is making it more rewarding for its elite flyers by offering discounts on flights. The airline is offering elites 30% off their next Alaska Airlines flight between Jan. 12 and May 26, 2021, in any cabin. There’s no promo code required — it will be loaded into elite members’ accounts by Jan. 5. The flight must be booked by Jan. 15 in order to get the bonus.
For customers, it’s also worth noting that the bonus elite-qualifying miles will apply to tickets booked using the Companion Fare benefit on the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card from Bank of America. As a cardholder, you and up to six travelers on the same reservation can also check a bag for free on these flights.
If you don’t currently have the card in your wallet, now’s a great time to sign up, as it’s offering a limited-time bonus of 40,000 bonus miles, plus a $100 statement credit and Alaska’s Famous Companion Fare from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from $22) after you make $2,000 or more in purchases within the first 90 days of account opening.
If you plan to travel at this time, you may want to consider booking with Alaska to accelerate your progress toward MVP elite status with the airline.
Additional reporting by Benji Stawski and Emily McNutt.
Featured photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images
Updated on 4/8/2021
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.