Extended: Alaska offering bonus elite-qualifying miles through September
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This article has been updated with the latest information and offers.
Alaska Airlines has yet again extended its lucrative bonus for flyers. In the beginning of the pandemic, the airline extended all Mileage Plan elite status through December 2021. In addition, it’s again extending a promotion that provides flyers with bonus elite-qualifying miles.
New to The Points Guy? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
All Alaska Mileage Plan members are now eligible to earn a 50% bonus on elite-qualifying miles for Alaska-operated flights through September 30, 2021. Previously, this bonus was only available for flights through the end of May 2021, after being extended from the end of 2020. This is a simple way to boost your prospects for elite status qualification with Alaska this year. While registration was initially required, that is no longer the case for this promotion.
Here are some additional details:
- The offer only applies to Alaska flights (including those operated by Horizon and Skywest). It’s not applicable on partner airlines — though remember that you can still earn bonus redeemable miles on all long-haul partner flights through the end of the year.
- There’s no limit to the bonus elite-qualifying miles you can earn through this promotion.
- Any Mileage Plan member can earn the bonus; it’s not limited to current MVP elite travelers.
The offer has been extended around the same time that Alaska announced how it’s changing how you can earn status. Potentially, it’s now easier to earn status, as you’ll earn miles the same whether you’re flying with Alaska or with a partner airline.
It’s also worth noting that the bonus elite-qualifying miles will apply to tickets booked using the Alaska Companion Fare benefit.
If you plan to travel at this time, you may want to consider booking with Alaska to accelerate your progress toward MVP elite status with the airline.
Additional reporting by Benji Stawski, Emily McNutt, and Ryan Patterson
Featured photo by Ryan Patterson/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees