Fresh fare, full beverage service: Alaska Airlines further expands food and drink offerings for passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with additional information.
Like other U.S. carriers, Alaska Airlines scaled back meals and drinks on most flights early during the pandemic, limiting onboard interactions while enabling the airline to conserve some much-needed cash.
Now, after the airline restored some service on flights to and from Hawaii and expanded offerings on other routes as well, many Alaska Airlines flyers will begin to experience a level of onboard service on par with what you might have expected before the pandemic.
As of July 31, freshly prepared hot meal options will be available in first class on transcontinental flights and snacks may be pre-ordered for select passengers, along with full beverage service available in all cabins.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
First-class passengers on all transcontinental and Hawaii flights will have their choice of two entrees or a fruit and cheese platter. Meanwhile, on all other flights longer than 1,100 miles, first-class flyers will get their choice of two hot meal entrees, including seasonal entree options such as Guajillo Chile-Lime Salad with a roasted lemon crema and Miso Marinated Cod in a sesame-miso butter sauce.
First-class passengers on flights between 670 and 1,100 miles will be served full tray service meals, including Schoenwald porcelain and compostable linen and silverware and have a choice between two cold entrees or a signature fruit & cheese plate.
Economy and Premium Class flyers will be able to pre-order snacks and fresh-food options, including picnic packs on flights longer than 670 miles. Passengers on flights over 1,100 miles can choose from a fruit and cheese platter, ham and egg wrap at breakfast, or a smoked turkey sandwich in the afternoon and evening.
Fresh food can be pre-ordered up to two weeks before a flight and up to one hour before departure, while picnic packs can be reserved up to an hour in advance. Some may be available on the cart as well.
Alaska Airlines will continue to offer an extensive selection of alcohol and non-alcoholic beverages available in all cabins with multiple cart services on flights more than 1,100 miles. Passengers onboard can expect West Coast-inspired beers, wines and premium spirits, as well as Starbucks Coffee, Teavana Tea and soda, in all cabins on flights more than 400 miles.
Alcohol is free in first class and Premium Class, while economy flyers can make touchless payments via a stored card, or they can hand over a credit card to pay onboard if they prefer.
Alaska has also resumed its onboard recycling program, helping keep cans, cups and paper products out of landfills. The airline also recently began rolling out boxed water on many flights to further reduce waste.
Additional reporting by Juan Ruiz.
Featured photo courtesy of Alaska Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees