Alaska Airlines plans to eliminate millions of plastic bottles per year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s no question that commercial aviation continues to have a tremendous impact on the environment. Aircraft have a significant carbon footprint on their own, but passengers and crew members also create considerable amounts of waste on every flight, through the use of single-use plastics and other materials — much of which ends up in the trash.
The pandemic has resulted in airlines growing even more dependent on single-use materials, including bottles of water that are so small, many travelers will end up going through several on each flight.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Fortunately, there’s some change on the way. Alaska Airlines is now taking additional steps to reduce its plastic consumption, replacing water bottles with a more sustainable alternative from Boxed Water Is Better.
Beginning this month, Alaska Airlines will be replacing bottles with boxed water. The airline expects to remove 7,200,000 plastic bottles from the skies each year as a result.
As Alaska points out in its press release, airlines created roughly 6.7 million tons of cabin waste in 2018. “While we know our greatest impact is through carbon emissions, every decision we make, including how we source the products we serve on board, is important,” said Diana Birkett Rakow, Alaska’s vice president of public affairs and sustainability.
First-class flyers should already be receiving boxed water on some flights, with the new addition rolling out throughout the airline’s cabins this summer. Unfortunately the airline’s recycling effort has been on hold for the last year, due to COVID-19, but on May 19, Alaska will resume recycling cans and water bottles, too.
Featured photo courtesy of Alaska Airlines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees