Alaska, American Airlines streamline the upgrade process for top-tier elites
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Getting upgraded on an American Airlines flight as an elite Alaska Airlines flyer is about to get much easier.
Beginning on Thursday, Alaska’s top-tier MVP Gold 75k members will automatically be added to the upgrade waitlist for American Airlines flights, as confirmed by a carrier spokesperson to TPG.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
When Alaska officially joined the Oneworld alliance on March 31, the Seattle-based carrier also unveiled expanded reciprocal elite benefits with American Airlines. This included free extra-legroom Main Cabin Extra seating on AA flights, as well as space-available complimentary upgrades for top-tier elites that officially began on April 5.
Although MVP Gold 75K members have been eligible for free upgrades for nearly two months, the process of actually getting one hasn’t been seamless. You’d only be eligible for a first-class bump once the check-in window opened, and you’d need to manually opt in to accept a free upgrade.
Beginning on Thursday, however, Alaska’s top frequent flyers will be automatically added to the upgrade waitlist for eligible American Airlines flights. For now, they’ll only be eligible to clear as soon as the day of travel, but moving the eligibility window to 72 hours is a future benefit coming later this summer, a spokesperson confirmed. MVP Gold 75Ks will be prioritized after American’s Platinum Pro elites on the upgrade waitlist.
Note that free upgrades on American only apply to domestic flights within the U.S., including Hawaii, as well as select short-haul routes between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America. Upgrades are valid from coach or premium economy to the next class of service.
This MVP Gold 75K free upgrade benefit can be used by the elite member and up to one companion booked on the same reservation.
This isn’t the only improvement coming this year for Alaska elites traveling this American. This fall, Alaska plans to detail a new benefit for MVP Gold 75K members — they’ll receive a confirmed upgrade certificate valid for travel on eligible AA long-haul international routes. (For a limited time before the new benefit kicks in, top-tier Alaska elites can enjoy two one-way space-available upgrades on select long-haul AA routes.)
American Airlines elites flying with Alaska have already enjoyed a more seamless space-available upgrade benefit with Alaska since early April. AA’s top-tier Executive Platinum members qualify for free upgrades with Alaska beginning as early as 120 hours before departure, pending availability. They are prioritized after MVP Gold 75K members in fare class order, and then by request date and time.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees