Great deal: AA offering free long-haul upgrades to top Alaska Airlines elites
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When Alaska Airlines joined American’s Oneworld alliance last month, we learned of the two airlines’ plans for reciprocal elite benefits, including lounge access, seat assignments and complimentary upgrades.
For one, Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K members who qualify for status valid through 2022 will receive a Global Upgrade Certificate, which can be used to confirm an upgrade to business or first class on long-haul American Airlines flights.
While we aren’t expecting that particular perk to be available until later this year, American Airlines is extending an incredibly generous benefit to top-tier Alaska elites now.
I earned MVP Gold 75K as part of the airline’s status match last month, and today received an email offering two one-way “space available” upgrades on a handful of long-haul American Airlines flights.
As of now, upgrades are available on the following nonstop American Airlines flights:
- Los Angeles (LAX) and London (LHR)
- Los Angeles (LAX) and Sydney (SYD)
- Los Angeles (LAX) and Tokyo (HND)
- Seattle (SEA) and Bangalore (BLR)
- Seattle (SEA) and London (LHR)
- Seattle (SEA) and Shanghai (PVG)
As always, note that upgrades on flights from London come along with a cash co-pay to cover the additional Air Passenger Duty (APD) for premium-cabin travel. In my experience, the upgrade fee for flights from LHR is typically around $100, though it may vary as part of this promotion.
After booking an eligible flight, Alaska elites can call American Airlines at 1-800-262-7206 and provide their Mileage Plan number and the unique “access code” from their email to upgrade their flights. If an upgrade is available, it’ll be confirmed right away — otherwise, elites will be added to the waitlist.
It’s possible to confirm upgrade availability for American Airlines flights before you book. To start, head over to TPG partner ExpertFlyer and complete your search there — for example, if the “C” fare class is available, there’s a good chance you’ll be able to instantly confirm an upgrade from economy to business class.
Note that you’ll need to specifically search using the “Award & Upgrade” tool — “C” class may appear with the “Flight Availability” option, but that doesn’t necessarily mean an upgrade is available to confirm.
In the case of this particular flight, a one-way economy ticket can be had for $595, compared with $2,835 for business class — that’s a heck of a deal.
Upgrades must be requested by Sept. 30, 2021 for travel through Dec. 31, 2021. You don’t need to use the upgrade yourself — you can call in to bump up another passenger if you prefer. Basic economy, free tickets, military or government fares, “opaque fares,” infant tickets, award flights and purchased extra seats are not eligible.
As always, you’ll earn miles based on the original purchased fare — not your upgraded cabin. Still, this is a fantastic deal if you’re expecting to book one of the six eligible routes above, giving Alaska elites an opportunity to fly business class for the price of coach.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees