American Airlines app now displays upgrade, standby list by cabin and more
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As an Executive Platinum member, one of my biggest gripes with AA has been that the upgrade list wasn’t nearly as informative as it is on Delta and United. Though many of my upgrades have cleared well before departure, I’ve had a few close calls that’ve been decided at the gate — and there’s been no good way to know where you stand on the list until right before your flight.
Fortunately, AA updated its app at the end of February to allow the upgrade list to show up eight hours before departure (before, it was just four). And today, the app received even more features that get me excited about using it again once travel resumes.
With the latest release of the iOS version of the American Airlines app, AA has rebranded the upgrade list into a “waitlist” screen. This new feature breaks the upgrade list down by cabin and also displays the standby list for your flight.
If you score the upgrade or snag the seat, you’ll then see your name highlighted along with your new seat. Plus, your upgraded seat assignment will now show on the airport monitors as well.
This is great news for those traveling on American’s four-cabin Boeing 777-300ER. Previously, the upgrade list would combine all the upgrade requests together, and it would be impossible to decipher who was waitlisted for a seat in Flagship First or biz. Now, you’ll get the list broken down by cabin.
Indeed, this is great for travelers looking to score a coveted seat up front. You’ll have a better sense of where you stand and can make changes accordingly.
For example, if your upgrade chances are looking bleak, you could use the same-day change feature to find a new flight with better odds (thankfully, this is a perk included with Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro status).
While this is a positive development for AA fliers, it still lags behind the other two major U.S. airlines. Delta and United already separate the upgrade and standby list, and these airlines display the list well before your flight (Delta’s at check-in and United’s two days before departure). Plus, they also show you how many seats are remaining in the premium cabin.
Nonetheless, I’m always a fan of seeing more data as it relates to my upgrade requests. If you’re an AA elite, make sure to update your app — there may be an upgrade waiting for you once travel resumes.
All photos by the author.
This post has been updated with new information.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.