Air Italy Says It’s First European Airline to Add Non-Binary Gender Booking Option
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines became the first US domestic airline to officially implement non-binary gender options for passengers earlier this year. Now, Air Italy claims it is the first to do so in Europe.
As of June 5, passengers booking Air Italy itineraries can select select M(male), F(female) or X(other) that corresponds with gender-neutral passports. This also includes “Mx” to its dropdown menu of titles. The International Air Transport Association (IATA) announced changes to include additional booking options for non-binary passengers in 2018.
“Air Italy is determined to lead the industry in inclusivity, and we are so proud to be the first European airline to offer these inclusive booking options for our customers,” Rossen Dimitrov, Air Italy’s chief operating officer, said in a press release.
US passports only offer binary gender options. Currently, only eleven states plus Washington, D.C., allow people to get a driver’s license with an “X” as a gender marker. More US airlines like Southwest, Delta, Hawaiian and American Airlines have stated their intention to offer a non-binary gender option as well.
Featured image courtesy of Qatar Airways.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.