Air Italy Says It’s First European Airline to Add Non-Binary Gender Booking Option
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines became the first US domestic airline to officially implement non-binary gender options for passengers earlier this year. Now, Air Italy claims it is the first to do so in Europe.
As of June 5, passengers booking Air Italy itineraries can select select M(male), F(female) or X(other) that corresponds with gender-neutral passports. This also includes “Mx” to its dropdown menu of titles. The International Air Transport Association (IATA) announced changes to include additional booking options for non-binary passengers in 2018.
“Air Italy is determined to lead the industry in inclusivity, and we are so proud to be the first European airline to offer these inclusive booking options for our customers,” Rossen Dimitrov, Air Italy’s chief operating officer, said in a press release.
US passports only offer binary gender options. Currently, only eleven states plus Washington, D.C., allow people to get a driver’s license with an “X” as a gender marker. More US airlines like Southwest, Delta, Hawaiian and American Airlines have stated their intention to offer a non-binary gender option as well.
Featured image courtesy of Qatar Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.