Aha!, the third new US airline this year, takes off today
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“What pandemic?” That might be the question on the minds of aviation observers when learning that the third new U.S. airline of 2021 is taking to the skies on Sunday.
On Sunday, Aha!, the leisure brand of long-time regional operator ExpressJet Airlines, will take to the skies with a 2:05 p.m. local time departure on Flight 7082 from Reno/Tahoe (RNO) to Pasco/Tri-Cities, Washington (PSC). The flight will then return to the airline’s Reno base later in the afternoon, marking the first round-trip for this new airline.
Aha! stands for “air, hotel, adventure,” and the new airline is designed to bring leisure travelers to its Reno base from “underserved” markets along the West Coast. Reno is known for its casino resorts, dining and year-round outdoor activities — including nearby Lake Tahoe — and Aha! is hoping to turn its first hub into an easily accessible destination from points in California, Oregon and Washington.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
The carrier will start with eight destinations, all launching over the next few weeks, from Oct. 24 through Nov. 10, with hopes of expanding its reach over the coming months. It has plans to grow to more than 20 cities shortly, though Aha! hasn’t tipped its hat at exactly what its growth plans might look like.
While Aha! is technically a new airline brand, it’s actually the latest venture from ExpressJet. Founded in 1986, ExpressJet has a long history of operating regional flights between small- and mid-sized cities. At one point, it was even owned by Continental Airlines, and most recently flew exclusively on behalf of United Express in mid-2020.
However, due to the pandemic, United ended its contract with ExpressJet and the carrier ceased operations. Now, the airline is rebranding four 50-seat Embraer 145 regional jets in a catchy blue and green livery and throwing some darts into the sky to see what sticks.
The flights won’t be the most comfortable ride in the sky — the Embraer 145 jet is outfitted in a 1-2 configuration, and with small overhead bins, you’ll have to pay $30 to gate valet your full-size rollaboard bags. Other optional fees, including seat assignments and extra bags, range from $10 to $100. Flights can be booked on www.flyaha.com or through the airline’s call center at 775-439-0888.
Aha! is the third newest U.S. airline to launch this year. Former Allegiant Airlines and United executive Andrew Levy is behind the first new carrier to launch this year, Avelo Airlines. Interestingly, Aha! and Avelo share a similar launch strategy. Avelo began with one hub in Burbank on the West Coast and has since expanded with more routes there and a new base in New Haven, Connecticut, on the East Coast, with the goal of connecting smaller cities to these markets.
Serial airline entrepreneur brought his latest project, Breeze Airways, to life a few weeks after Avelo. Breeze is focused on connecting midsized markets with nonstop flights, focusing on cities that are too small for major carriers to serve beyond flights to their hubs.
So far, the airline is concentrated around four focus cities: Tampa; New Orleans; Charleston, South Carolina; and Norfolk, Virginia.
It’ll be interesting to follow how Aha! and the other newbie airlines fare. In the meantime, if you’re traveling to Reno, you’ll soon have another option.
Aha! launch routes
|Pasco/Tri-Cities, Washington (PSC)||10/24/21|
|Bakersfield, California (BFL)||10/25/21|
|Medford/Ashland, Oregon (MFR)||10/31/21|
|Eugene/Springfield, Oregon (EUG)||11/1/21|
|Ontario, California (ONT)||11/4/21|
|Redmond/Bend, Oregon (RDM)||11/5/21|
|Eureka/Arcata, California (ACV)||11/9/21|
|Fresno, California (FAT)||11/10/21|
Featured photo courtesy of Aha!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees