Avelo Airlines is adding a fifth route from New Haven to Florida
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Avelo Airlines, one of the nation’s new startup carriers, is gearing up for a splashy East Coast launch later this year.
In August, Avelo unveiled plans to establish a base in New Haven, with an initial tranche of four routes to launch beginning in November, to Orlando (MCO), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Tampa (TPA) and Fort Myers (RSW).
On Wednesday, the carrier added a fifth route from the Tweed-New Haven Airport (HVN): to West Palm Beach (PBI).
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Service to PBI will begin on Dec. 16 aboard one of Avelo’s 147-seat Boeing 737-700 aircraft. The flight will operate daily during the peak holiday period between Dec. 16 and Jan. 4, and it’ll then drop down to five days per week, with the full schedule available below.
Adding service to West Palm Beach comes as the carrier goes all-in on Florida with its East Coast plans. All five New Haven routes are to the Sunshine State, which seemingly makes sense for a leisure-focused airline planning to commence operations in the winter. As Avelo described in its press release, it’s pleased with the “positive response” it has received thus far for its East Coast plans.
Throughout the pandemic, Florida has seen a host of new air service, thanks to its pleasant weather, availability of outdoor-friendly activities and relaxed COVID-19 protocols.
In addition to the new PBI flights, Avelo will temporarily run daily service during the winter holiday period on its existing routes to Fort Myers (RSW) and Tampa (TPA). The extra flights on those routes begin Dec. 16 and will run through Jan. 4. You can find the full details of Avelo’s East Coast expansion here.
While Avelo is pleased with its growth in New Haven, it has run into headwinds on the West Coast. Recently, the carrier scrapped its planned expansion from its Burbank (BUR) base to Monterey, California (MRY), and St. George, Utah (SGU).
“We will take another look at our plans for these two markets next spring,” a carrier spokesperson explained in an emailed statement.
In addition to scrapping plans to serve Monterey and St. George, Avelo is also delaying the launch of flights to Provo, Utah (PVU). Service was planned to commence on Sept. 17, but Avelo confirmed that it’s now been pushed to Nov. 15.
In early July, the airline quietly pulled flights to two of its 12 initial markets, Grand Junction, Colorado (GJT), and Bozeman, Montana (BZN). The airline also dropped service to Mesa/Phoenix, Arizona (AZA), but the carrier confirmed that will “reevaluate returning… for the summer of 2022.”
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Avelo’s West Palm Beach schedule
HVN — PBI 7 a.m. — 10:10 a.m.
PBI — HVN 10:50 a.m. — 1:40 p.m.
Daily from Dec. 16, 2021, to Jan. 4, 2022, then five times weekly (Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees