Avelo Airlines unveils first 4 routes from new East Coast base
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s official: Avelo Airlines is headed east.
The startup budget carrier revealed the first four routes for its new East Coast base, saying flights from New Haven (HVN), Connecticut, would begin in November.
Avelo initially will offer four routes – all to Florida – as it expands to the East for the first time. The airline will operate a “one-time ceremonial” to Orlando on Nov. 3 before officially commencing a schedule of five weekly flights on the route a day later.
By Nov. 11, Avelo will phase in service to three other cites: Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers and Tampa. Avelo says its new service — all on Boeing 737-700 aircraft — will give New Haven its first-ever regularly scheduled service to Florida.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
More broadly, the new destinations are a shot in the arm for the Tweed-New Haven Airport. HVN has struggled to grow commercial airline during the past decade. American is currently the only scheduled passenger carrier at the airport, where its American Eagle regional affiliates fly a single route to AA’s hub in Philadelphia.
Now, Avelo says its new Florida routes from New Haven will mark “the first time in 30 years that the airport will simultaneously serve more than two destinations.”
East Coast ambition: Startup Avelo Airlines announces new East Coast base just 1 week after launch
“Today’s announcement from Avelo Airlines is another clear step towards transforming Tweed-New Haven into a more vibrant and sustainable airport, one that can help grow jobs and serve as an economic driver for our region,” Sean Scanlon, executive director of Tweed-New Haven Airport, said in a statement. “For years the people of southern Connecticut have been asking for more options when it comes to flights and – starting this November – that will be a reality.”
Avelo began service in April, besting fellow startup Breeze by about a month to become the first new mainline carrier in nearly 15 years. Avelo launched with a base in Burbank, California – starting with routes to 11 destinations in the West.
Budget carrier battle: America’s 2 newest airlines, Avelo and Breeze
The airline has made slight adjustments to its Burbank schedule since starting, dropping several cities but expanding in others. Now, its plans to begin service in New Haven will bring Avelo to both coasts. Avelo first announced its intention to make New Haven a base back in May just a week after its first flights, but it did not reveal any details about where it might fly.
Now, we know the first four routes – and presumably there’ll be more to come as Avelo builds up its presence at its first East Coast base.
Scroll down for the launch details of Avelo’s first routes from New Haven.
Avelo Airlines’ new flights from New Haven (HVN)
- Begins Nov. 4. Flights operate five times per week (every day except Tuesdays and Wednesdays).
Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
- Begins Nov. 5. Flights operate five times per week (every day except Tuesdays and Wednesdays).
- Begins Nov. 8. Flights operate three times per week (Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays).
Fort Myers (RSW)
- Begins Nov. 11. Flights operate two times per week (Thursdays and Sundays).
Featured photo by Joe Scarnici/Getty Images for Avelo
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees