Aeroplan Hints at Partnership Between Etihad and Air Canada
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Etihad’s financial woes continue to mount, as the Abu Dhabi-based carrier remained unprofitable in 2018 for the third year in a row, posting a $1.28 billion loss for the year. Rumors have been circulating for years that Etihad is on the verge of joining Star Alliance, increasing its reach and giving it access to profitable codeshare agreements around the globe. While Etihad currently partners with American Airlines for reciprocal mileage earning and redemptions, it is not a member of one of the major three alliances.
The rumors about Etihad and Star Alliance gained some traction this week, with One Mile at a Time reporting that Aeroplan, Air Canada’s independently run loyalty program, announced a new partnership with Etihad launching on May 1.
An Air Canada spokesperson quickly issued a clarification that the two were not, in fact, launching a partnership yet, but the specificity of the denial hints that something is under discussion.
“Clearly our content team is excited about new earning opportunities for Aeroplan! While Air Canada is in discussions with Etihad Airways, we will not be launching a frequent flyer partnership tomorrow. We look forward to sharing more details with you as they become available.”
The rumored partnership, if true, would still be a few rungs below a full Star Alliance membership. Aeroplan members would be able to earn miles for travel on Etihad, though the earnings would be limited to redeemable miles and not elite qualifying miles for Air Canada elite status. Additionally, Star Alliance elite benefits would not apply for travel on Etihad Airways.
There’s also no mention of reciprocal mileage redemptions, which would be perhaps the most interesting and valuable element of any eventual partnership. Aeroplan and Etihad are both transfers partners of American Express Membership Rewards (1:1) and Capital One Miles (2:1.5), meaning that reciprocal mileage redemptions would allow you to pit the two award charts against each other to book award flights at the lowest possible rates.
No, Etihad is not joining Star Alliance just yet. But if this rumored partnership with Air Canada comes to fruition, it will be an important first step for the struggling Gulf carrier. There are still plenty of unknowns at this point, including what the earning and redemption rates would look like, but Air Canada’s lack of a complete denial likely means that some partnership is in the works.
Featured photo courtesy of Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees