Aeroflot Is Putting New Business-Class Seats On Two US Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Russian-based Aeroflot may not have the best premium-class product now, but that might change when it launches its Airbus A350 next year. The new plane debuts on two US routes starting in early 2020.
Although Aeroflot has been mum on the launch, aviation expert and TPG contributor Jason Rabinowitz spotted that the airline has now filed its first flights with the new aircraft type. These plans reveal that Aeroflot currently plans its first Airbus A350-900 revenue flight for March 29, 2020 from Moscow’s Sheremetyevo International Airport (SVO) to New York’s Kennedy (JFK).
These plans should be taken with a grain of salt though. Aeroflot was one of the first airlines to order the Airbus A350 way back in 2007, but the Russian airline has deferred orders of this aircraft multiple times since that original order. The first A350 deliveries to Aeroflot are now scheduled for 2020.
That said, a quick glance at the seat map for these flights reveals an unannounced, but notable improvement in Aeroflot’s business-class product. Rather than the 2-2-2 arrangement in Aeroflot’s current business class, the new aircraft will have a 1-2-1 arrangement. That means that all business-class passengers will have direct aisle access.
There’s no confirmation on which seat Aeroflot is using for the new aircraft. However, FlightGlobal found a request for consulting services that Aeroflot sent out in December 2018 indicating that B/E Aerospace was the seat manufacturer. That would indicate that Aeroflot is most likely using the B/E Aerospace Super Diamond seat, which many airlines are turning to for a business class product.
You can currently find this business class seat on:
- Air Canada Boeing 787-9 and 787-8 Dreamliner
- American Airlines’s Boeing 787-9 and some versions of its Boeing 777-200
- Royal Air Maroc Boeing 787-9
- Virgin Australia 777-300ER
The seat map also reveals that Aeroflot’s Airbus A350-900 will be arranged 2-4-2 in premium economy and 3-3-3 in economy. Both of those are the most typical arrangements for these cabins — although a couple of airlines have squeezed 10 seats wide in economy, and Airbus is pushing this option to more airlines.
After running its A350 aircraft on the inaugural route to JFK, Aeroflot is currently scheduled to launch the aircraft on the following routes:
- May 1: Moscow — Beijing (PEK)
- June 1: Moscow — Seoul (ICN)
- June 2: Moscow — Miami (MIA)
Featured image of an Aeroflot Boeing 777 by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees