American Airlines offering $50, extra vacation day to vaccinated employees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sure, we’re all eager for it to be safe to travel the world again, but few are more invested than the largest global airlines. With the ongoing pandemic and strict border restrictions impacting bookings, airlines have a greater incentive than most to see a return to normal life — and, ideally, an end to the COVID-19 pandemic.
With some states now moving to reopen — despite warnings from public health officials — vaccines may be the nation’s best hope to put the pandemic in the rear-view mirror. They’re effective, and they’re safe, but many travel industry workers need an extra push to get the shot. At American Airlines, that incentive will come in the form of an extra vacation day, along with 50 bucks.
This week, American CEO Doug Parker and President Robert Isom explained in an employee memo that the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine is now available to employees at Chicago O’Hare (ORD), and the airline is working to roll out vaccinations at other airports soon.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
The executives also didn’t shy away from highlighting the financial incentive, along with a reminder of what’s at stake:
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to earn an extra vacation day next year and $50 in recognition points. Get vaccinated as soon as possible — to protect yourself and others. More than 500,000 people in the United States have lost their lives to COVID-19, including some of our own colleagues.
American isn’t the only travel industry leader tapping an incentive program to encourage employees to get vaccinated for COVID-19. Marriott is offering four hours of extra pay to anyone who decides to get vaccinated, for example, and United Airlines is even considering mandating the shot.
If you have an opportunity to get vaccinated, you should certainly take it. You can not contract COVID-19 by getting the vaccine, and while you may feel some side effects, they’re mild for most people. According to the CDC, “The side effects from COVID-19 vaccination, such as chills or tiredness, may affect your ability to do daily activities, and they should go away in a few days.” I’d happily trade a day or two of not quite feeling 100% for the ability to return to normal life and to help prevent additional deaths.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees