Texas, Mississippi lifting most COVID-19 restrictions, mask mandates
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas and Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves both announced on Tuesday that they were lifting statewide mask mandates and opening their states back up for business.
Gov. Abbott announced Tuesday, March 2, in Lubbock, Texas, that it was time to “open Texas 100%.”
The Republican governor announced he is lifting the mask mandate beginning next Wednesday. Abbott says that declining infection rates and new vaccines mean the Lone Star State can fully reopen. He issued an executive order (GA-34) rescinding most of his other pandemic orders as well.
At around the same time, Gov. Reeves, also a Republican, followed suit, tweeting “Our hospitalizations and case numbers have plummeted, and the vaccine is being rapidly distributed. It is time!” The Mississippi restrictions will lift tomorrow and businesses will be allowed to operate at full capacity.
Similarly, Gov. Abbott’s executive order allows all businesses to operate at 100% capacity, and it also forbids any city or county form enforcing their own mask mandates.
Bars in Texas have already reopened on a county-by-county basis at 50% occupancy with all patrons seated and an 11 p.m. closing time. That is likely to end next week. Gov. Abbott lifted travel restrictions for visitors to Texas on May 20, 2020.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Texas was the second state to surpass 2 million coronavirus cases back in February. Mississippi has a total of 295,295 cases, according to a New York Times database.
Abbott did say:
“Removing state mandates does not end personal responsibility or the importance of caring for your family members and caring for your friends and caring for others in your community,” Abbott said. “Personal vigilance to follow the safety standards is still needed to contain COVID, it’s just that now state mandates are no longer needed. Texans should continue following medical advice on preventing COVID.”
Democrats in Texas are outraged. Texas Party Chair Gilberto Hinojosa said in statement, “From leaving Texans to literally freeze to death, to letting a deadly virus have an open season on our residents, Governor Abbott has proven many times over that he neither understands the struggles of everyday Texans, nor does he care about doing his basic duty to protect them.”
Gov. Abbott issued a mask mandate on July 2, 2020, after cases began to rise in the state, however, mask usage is more common in some parts of Texas than in others. The New York Times reports Texas has an “average of 227 COVID-19 deaths a day over the past week.”
Additional reporting by Mimi Wright.
Featured image by CrackerClips Stock Media via Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees