Preparing for a comeback: Marriott offers employees financial incentive to get vaccinated
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As part of the initiative, which Marriott is calling the “Vaccination Care Program,” the company will also provide education around the benefits of the vaccine as well as flexible scheduling to accommodate vaccine appointments. The financial incentive is four hours of pay once the employee has completed the vaccination process.
To stay on top of top deals before they expire, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
“The health and safety of our people is our top priority. Our goal for the Vaccination Care Program is to remove potential obstacles to getting vaccinated so our associates can put their health first and have peace of mind,” said global chief human resources officer, Marriott International, David Rodriguez. “As vaccines become more widely available, this will create a safer environment for all associates, and we believe that consumer confidence to travel again will increase significantly and help the rebound of the travel and tourism sector.”
While this is the first instance of a vaccination incentive, airlines are also stepping in to help facilitate vaccinations for employees. Etihad Airways became the first airline in the world with 100% of crew on board vaccinated back in February. As TPG’s Zach Honig reported, other airlines are working on inoculating all crew as well: Singapore Airlines will provide employees with Pfizer’s vaccine, while Emirates is working to roll out the Pfizer and Sinopharm vaccines among its staff. In an internal town hall, United CEO Scott Kirby added his two cents on the matter, saying, “I think the right thing to do is for United Airlines, and for other companies, to require the vaccines and to make them mandatory.”
The travel industry has taken a massive hit since the onset of COVID-19 at the beginning of 2020. NBC reported at the beginning of this year that, as a whole, airlines lost more than $35 billion in 2020. That’s according to analyst estimates provided by FactSet. While vaccinating employees is a great way of helping keep staff safe and healthy, as Marriott notes, it could also provide a boost of confidence to consumers on the fence about booking their next vacation — and a boost to the travel industry as well.
Feature image by Katherine Frey/The Washington Post via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees