This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This has been a record-breaking summer for travel. Just like when nearly four million people traveled by air for Independence Day, a record number of travelers are expected to fly on US airlines during the summer’s final holiday weekend.
During Labor Day Weekend, 16.5 million people are expected to fly — a 3.5% increase from 2017, according to Airlines for America, the trade group for US air carriers. Over the four-day weekend, US carriers are expected to fly roughly 2.4 million passengers per day, which is an increase of 79,000 travelers per day during this weekend in 2017.
The airlines will offer an additional 2.76 million seats each day in order to accommodate the influx of travelers. The trade group expects Friday, Aug. 31 to be the busiest travel day of the week with an estimated 2.76 million passengers flying onboard US carriers worldwide.
“2018 has been an exceptionally busy year for air travel, with 20 out of the 25 busiest days ever recorded by the Transportation Security Administration occurring so far this year,” Airlines for America Vice President and Chief Economist John Heimlich said in a statement.
If you’re one of the 16.5 million travelers flying this holiday weekend, there are several ways to make your airport experience a little less hectic and more enjoyable. Start by speeding through security by being enrolled in a program like CLEAR; you can essentially skip the security line — even without TSA pre-check. CLEAR uses biometric technology to verify your identity and all you need to do is hand a TSA officer your boarding pass and continue to the actual security screening. A CLEAR membership costs $179 annually, or $149 using promo code TPG149.
Even though TSA pre-check lines can sometimes still be incredibly long, it’s still better to have it than not. Having TSA pre-check, especially during a holiday weekend, will save you time and stress by not having to remove your shoes, liquids or electronics. As a reminder, plenty of credit cards offer Pre-check (and global entry) credit to help avoid the membership fees.
Once you’ve escaped the security lines, there’s no need to hang with the crowds while you wait to board your flight. With access to more than 12,000 lounges worldwide, a Priory Pass member is one of the best ways to ensure relaxation at the airport. Additionally, credit cards like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige Card and the Platinum Card from American Express are among the cards that can get you and a couple guests into the most airport lounges.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards