The 5-Star Hotel Where Trump Will Meet Kim Jong-Un
The nuclear summit between the US and North Korea in Singapore is inching closer.
Travel plans for both US President Donald Trump and North Korean Leader Kim Jong-Un are falling into place. We know how the two leaders will fly to Singapore — and even potentially who will pay for Kim’s hotel bill at the iconic Fullerton, where he reportedly would prefer to stay.
On Tuesday, the White House confirmed another travel detail of the June 12 meeting: the hotel where the actual meeting will take place. The historic summit will be held at the Capella Hotel on the resort island of Sentosa, just off Singapore’s coast.
UPDATE: The venue for the Singapore summit between @POTUS and Leader Kim Jong Un will be the Capella Hotel on Sentosa Island. We thank our great Singaporean hosts for their hospitality.
— Sarah Sanders (@PressSec) June 5, 2018
The five-star Capella has 112 rooms, suites, villas and manors set on 30 acres of landscaped property.
CNN reports that representatives from both delegations met at the Cappella four times last week to hammer out details for the first-ever meeting between a US President and a North Korean Leader.
On Tuesday night, according to USA Today, Cappella staffers “were painting a fresh coat on the façade, extra security was in place and red carpets were rolled out at the hotel’s two entrances.”
The Cappella, which is one of several resorts located on Sentosa, is unfortunately closed for reservations during the summit. Although it displays in Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts, when TPG clicked through to book a reservation, there was no availability. We also tried to book through the hotel website and on the phone, but were told that the property is indeed closed for reservations during the meeting.
If you’re interested in pulling a Dennis Rodman move and staying “on hand” in Singapore for the summit, there are several other nearby bookable hotel options in the vicinity of the meeting.
Right next door to the Capella is the Amara Sanctuary Resort Sentosa. That resort has 140 five-star suites, villas and even an on-site mansion and is showing availability during the summit’s timeframe.
For a points and miles hotel option in Singapore, Sentosa Island also has a W Hotel. You can use your Starwood points to try to be close to the action of the nuclear negotiations — 20,000 points per night from June 11 to 13.
Also, the reported runner-up for the summit’s hosting honors is Singapore’s Shangri-La hotel, which was also the site of a historic 2015 meeting between Chinese President Xi Jinping and Taiwanese Leader Ma Ying-jeou. Rumors are swirling that the Shangri-La is where Trump wants to stay for the duration of the summit.
The nuclear summit’s initial meeting will be held at 9:00am local time on June 12. There is no confirmed end date for the summit, which reports say could be as brief as a few minutes or as long as a couple days.
Trump has noted that the denuclearization of North Korea will likely take more than just one meeting. There are reports that if things go well in Singapore, Trump is thinking about hosting a follow-up summit at his Palm Beach club Mar-a-Lago.
All images by the Cappella Hotel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.