The 5-Star Hotel Where Trump Will Meet Kim Jong-Un
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The nuclear summit between the US and North Korea in Singapore is inching closer.
Travel plans for both US President Donald Trump and North Korean Leader Kim Jong-Un are falling into place. We know how the two leaders will fly to Singapore — and even potentially who will pay for Kim’s hotel bill at the iconic Fullerton, where he reportedly would prefer to stay.
On Tuesday, the White House confirmed another travel detail of the June 12 meeting: the hotel where the actual meeting will take place. The historic summit will be held at the Capella Hotel on the resort island of Sentosa, just off Singapore’s coast.
UPDATE: The venue for the Singapore summit between @POTUS and Leader Kim Jong Un will be the Capella Hotel on Sentosa Island. We thank our great Singaporean hosts for their hospitality.
— Sarah Sanders (@PressSec) June 5, 2018
The five-star Capella has 112 rooms, suites, villas and manors set on 30 acres of landscaped property.
CNN reports that representatives from both delegations met at the Cappella four times last week to hammer out details for the first-ever meeting between a US President and a North Korean Leader.
On Tuesday night, according to USA Today, Cappella staffers “were painting a fresh coat on the façade, extra security was in place and red carpets were rolled out at the hotel’s two entrances.”
The Cappella, which is one of several resorts located on Sentosa, is unfortunately closed for reservations during the summit. Although it displays in Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts, when TPG clicked through to book a reservation, there was no availability. We also tried to book through the hotel website and on the phone, but were told that the property is indeed closed for reservations during the meeting.
If you’re interested in pulling a Dennis Rodman move and staying “on hand” in Singapore for the summit, there are several other nearby bookable hotel options in the vicinity of the meeting.
Right next door to the Capella is the Amara Sanctuary Resort Sentosa. That resort has 140 five-star suites, villas and even an on-site mansion and is showing availability during the summit’s timeframe.
For a points and miles hotel option in Singapore, Sentosa Island also has a W Hotel. You can use your Starwood points to try to be close to the action of the nuclear negotiations — 20,000 points per night from June 11 to 13.
Also, the reported runner-up for the summit’s hosting honors is Singapore’s Shangri-La hotel, which was also the site of a historic 2015 meeting between Chinese President Xi Jinping and Taiwanese Leader Ma Ying-jeou. Rumors are swirling that the Shangri-La is where Trump wants to stay for the duration of the summit.
The nuclear summit’s initial meeting will be held at 9:00am local time on June 12. There is no confirmed end date for the summit, which reports say could be as brief as a few minutes or as long as a couple days.
Trump has noted that the denuclearization of North Korea will likely take more than just one meeting. There are reports that if things go well in Singapore, Trump is thinking about hosting a follow-up summit at his Palm Beach club Mar-a-Lago.
All images by the Cappella Hotel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees