This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The nuclear summit between the US and North Korea in Singapore is inching closer.
Travel plans for both US President Donald Trump and North Korean Leader Kim Jong-Un are falling into place. We know how the two leaders will fly to Singapore — and even potentially who will pay for Kim’s hotel bill at the iconic Fullerton, where he reportedly would prefer to stay.
On Tuesday, the White House confirmed another travel detail of the June 12 meeting: the hotel where the actual meeting will take place. The historic summit will be held at the Capella Hotel on the resort island of Sentosa, just off Singapore’s coast.
UPDATE: The venue for the Singapore summit between @POTUS and Leader Kim Jong Un will be the Capella Hotel on Sentosa Island. We thank our great Singaporean hosts for their hospitality.
— Sarah Sanders (@PressSec) June 5, 2018
The five-star Capella has 112 rooms, suites, villas and manors set on 30 acres of landscaped property.
CNN reports that representatives from both delegations met at the Cappella four times last week to hammer out details for the first-ever meeting between a US President and a North Korean Leader.
On Tuesday night, according to USA Today, Cappella staffers “were painting a fresh coat on the façade, extra security was in place and red carpets were rolled out at the hotel’s two entrances.”
The Cappella, which is one of several resorts located on Sentosa, is unfortunately closed for reservations during the summit. Although it displays in Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts, when TPG clicked through to book a reservation, there was no availability. We also tried to book through the hotel website and on the phone, but were told that the property is indeed closed for reservations during the meeting.
If you’re interested in pulling a Dennis Rodman move and staying “on hand” in Singapore for the summit, there are several other nearby bookable hotel options in the vicinity of the meeting.
Right next door to the Capella is the Amara Sanctuary Resort Sentosa. That resort has 140 five-star suites, villas and even an on-site mansion and is showing availability during the summit’s timeframe.
For a points and miles hotel option in Singapore, Sentosa Island also has a W Hotel. You can use your Starwood points to try to be close to the action of the nuclear negotiations — 20,000 points per night from June 11 to 13.
Also, the reported runner-up for the summit’s hosting honors is Singapore’s Shangri-La hotel, which was also the site of a historic 2015 meeting between Chinese President Xi Jinping and Taiwanese Leader Ma Ying-jeou. Rumors are swirling that the Shangri-La is where Trump wants to stay for the duration of the summit.
The nuclear summit’s initial meeting will be held at 9:00am local time on June 12. There is no confirmed end date for the summit, which reports say could be as brief as a few minutes or as long as a couple days.
Trump has noted that the denuclearization of North Korea will likely take more than just one meeting. There are reports that if things go well in Singapore, Trump is thinking about hosting a follow-up summit at his Palm Beach club Mar-a-Lago.
All images by the Cappella Hotel.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees