29 Injured After Tijuana-Bound Flight Hits Turbulence
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A plane landing at Tijuana International Airport (TIJ) resulted in dozens of injuries Wednesday. Volaris Flight 423 coming from Guadalajara, Mexico (GDL) experienced turbulence, and in a rare event, injured nearly 30 people. Aviation authorities in Mexico confirmed that 29 people were hurt: Eight passengers and four flight attendants ended up in the hospital.
The Airbus A320 hit turbulence about halfway through the flight at an altitude of 34,000 feet and continued on to TIJ where paramedics were waiting on site. Despite the injuries, the government’s Civil Aviation office described the turbulence as “moderate.”
Turbulence is a very normal part of flying and rarely results in injuries like this Volaris flight — especially if passengers wear their seatbelts. If you have a fear of flying, there’s a good chance a bumpy flight is the root of your anxiety, but aviation experts say 80% of fights experience at least some turbulence.
H/T: AP News
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees