This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A plane landing at Tijuana International Airport (TIJ) resulted in dozens of injuries Wednesday. Volaris Flight 423 coming from Guadalajara, Mexico (GDL) experienced turbulence, and in a rare event, injured nearly 30 people. Aviation authorities in Mexico confirmed that 29 people were hurt: Eight passengers and four flight attendants ended up in the hospital.
The Airbus A320 hit turbulence about halfway through the flight at an altitude of 34,000 feet and continued on to TIJ where paramedics were waiting on site. Despite the injuries, the government’s Civil Aviation office described the turbulence as “moderate.”
Turbulence is a very normal part of flying and rarely results in injuries like this Volaris flight — especially if passengers wear their seatbelts. If you have a fear of flying, there’s a good chance a bumpy flight is the root of your anxiety, but aviation experts say 80% of fights experience at least some turbulence.
H/T: AP News
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards