29 Injured After Tijuana-Bound Flight Hits Turbulence
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A plane landing at Tijuana International Airport (TIJ) resulted in dozens of injuries Wednesday. Volaris Flight 423 coming from Guadalajara, Mexico (GDL) experienced turbulence, and in a rare event, injured nearly 30 people. Aviation authorities in Mexico confirmed that 29 people were hurt: Eight passengers and four flight attendants ended up in the hospital.
The Airbus A320 hit turbulence about halfway through the flight at an altitude of 34,000 feet and continued on to TIJ where paramedics were waiting on site. Despite the injuries, the government’s Civil Aviation office described the turbulence as “moderate.”
Turbulence is a very normal part of flying and rarely results in injuries like this Volaris flight — especially if passengers wear their seatbelts. If you have a fear of flying, there’s a good chance a bumpy flight is the root of your anxiety, but aviation experts say 80% of fights experience at least some turbulence.
H/T: AP News
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.