Airline winners in the 2020 TPG Awards Readers’ Choice categories
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As we announced this morning, today kicks off Airlines Week at the 2020 TPG Awards — and we have a ton of content and events across our site and other platforms ready to launch. To get things started, we’re announcing the winners of our first two Readers’ Choice honors. Tens of thousands of TPG readers weighed in this year, giving insight into which airline loyalty program and airline credit card were most popular.
Read on for who took home these awards this year.
Sign-up for the TPG daily newsletter so you don’t miss out on anything related to the TPG Awards.
Best US Airline Loyalty Program
Over the first two years of the TPG Awards, the same carrier took home the award for Best U.S. Airline Loyalty Program.
Well, ladies and gentlemen … we have a new victor in 2020.
Winner: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Southwest as an airline has a lot to like — from its fee-free changes and cancellations to the pair of free checked bags given to every passenger. However, its Rapid Rewards program is a fan favorite of many travelers, and there are some key features that likely pushed it to the top this year:
- Companion Pass: The Southwest Companion Pass is one of the most coveted (and lucrative) perks in the frequent flyer world, allowing holders to bring along a designated travel companion on all Southwest-operated flights by just paying the companion’s taxes and fees. While the qualification requirements are steep, members can utilize the carrier’s credit cards to reach them (more to come on that shortly).
- No blackout dates: When you need to use your Rapid Rewards points, you can do it on any Southwest flight with availability. If there’s a seat, it’s available using points. While it is a revenue-based program, which removes the ability to get out-sized value from your award tickets, it’s still a straight-forward redemption scheme that requires little advance knowledge to utilize.
- Points never expire: Southwest removed point expiration in 2019, so you’ll never have to worry about your Rapid Rewards points disappearing.
Southwest also made some adjustments to its elite status tiers in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic — including the option to convert existing travel funds to Rapid Rewards points. These likely helped propel the carrier to the top of the ballot, securing its first-ever TPG award.
Best Airline Cobranded Credit Card
And the “luv” continued in the Best Airline Cobranded Credit Card category — as we once again saw a first-timer take the top spot.
Southwest offers three personal credit cards through Chase, and its middle offering — the Southwest Premier Card — took home honors as the best airline credit card of 2020, according to TPG readers. While many of the carrier’s loyal flyers likely get a ton of value from the Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card, voters clearly preferred the lower out-of-pocket cost of the Premier card ($99 compared to $149 for the Priority).
And that’s not to say the Premier card isn’t worth it, as it still packs a punch in terms of benefits:
- Earn 3x points on dining, including takeout and eligible delivery services, for the first year, as part of the current welcome offer.
- 2x points on Southwest purchases and with Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partners, 1x point on all other purchases
- 6,000 points on your cardmember anniversary (worth $90 based on TPG’s most recent valuations)
- No foreign transaction fees
However, the most appealing aspect of this card (and really all Southwest cards) is the ability to earn the carrier’s venerable Companion Pass. All points on Southwest cards — including welcome bonuses — count toward qualification, and if you time things carefully, you could enjoy a Companion Pass for nearly two years.
Both of our airline awards for 2020 went to Southwest Airlines, as its Rapid Rewards program took home honors for Best U.S. Airline Loyalty Program, while the Southwest Premier card was voted as the Best Airline Cobranded Credit Card. While both are first-time award winners, they clearly deliver value to members, which took them to the top of the ballot.
We’ll have additional Editors’ Choice awards to hand out later this week — so stay tuned for additional announcements.
A big thank you to the tens of thousands of readers who voted this year, and we’ll have the other Readers’ Choice award winners to come in future weeks.
Voting for the 2020 TPG Awards Readers’ Choice categories ran from Oct. 1, 2020 at 9 a.m. Eastern Time through Oct. 30, 2020 at 11:59:59 p.m. Eastern Time. It was promoted on our site and across all of our social media channels. In addition, some individual brands promoted voting through their own channels — which included their social media accounts, display banners on their sites and direct email campaigns. The voting was conducted via SurveyMonkey, and it was set up where readers could only vote one time.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.