10 travel tips every study-abroad student should know before they go
Studying abroad is a life-changing event. It’s a new overseas adventure, an experience that goes far beyond a long weekend as a tourist. Embedding in a new country has benefits you just can’t get on vacation, but it also has its challenges.
There are easy things you can do to be a mindful student. Here’s how to put yourself at the top of the class while studying abroad.
Learn a handful of common phrases in the local language
Austin Konkle, who studied in Rabat, Morocco, in the summer of 2017 and taught an English language course in a shower (“VERY long story, but we didn’t have a classroom so a shower had to do”) recommends learning a few key phrases in whatever country you’ll be staying in, even if you don’t have time to learn the language entirely.
“Greetings and get-to-know-you questions are essential, as well as functional questions like asking where to find a bathroom, how much an item costs or where to find a nearby street or attraction. These can make your day-to-day significantly less stressful,” says Konkle, who went abroad through an NGO called Association Chantiers de Developpement au Maroc.
Use points and miles when you can, and low-cost carriers when you can’t
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.