10 travel tips every study-abroad student should know before they go
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Studying abroad is a life-changing event. It’s a new overseas adventure, an experience that goes far beyond a long weekend as a tourist. Embedding in a new country has benefits you just can’t get on vacation, but it also has its challenges.
There are easy things you can do to be a mindful student. Here’s how to put yourself at the top of the class while studying abroad.
Learn a handful of common phrases in the local language
Austin Konkle, who studied in Rabat, Morocco, in the summer of 2017 and taught an English language course in a shower (“VERY long story, but we didn’t have a classroom so a shower had to do”) recommends learning a few key phrases in whatever country you’ll be staying in, even if you don’t have time to learn the language entirely.
“Greetings and get-to-know-you questions are essential, as well as functional questions like asking where to find a bathroom, how much an item costs or where to find a nearby street or attraction. These can make your day-to-day significantly less stressful,” says Konkle, who went abroad through an NGO called Association Chantiers de Developpement au Maroc.
Use points and miles when you can, and low-cost carriers when you can’t
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees