T-Mobile Is Kicking Up Its International Coverage Options
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The race to cover the world map is competitive among cell-phone carriers, and T-Mobile is pushing to be more travel-friendly for frequent globetrotters.
T-Mobile announced that it is expanding its international coverage to 70 additional countries beginning July 22. Plus, the carrier is introducing a new flat-rate “daily data pass” option – and the price is reasonable in comparison to other carriers’ international plans.
Through T-Mobile ONE, customers can get unlimited 2G data and texting in international countries at no extra cost through the Simple Global plan. Once the carrier expands its international coverage in late July, that plan becomes a little more enticing.
On top of the coverage expansion to 210 countries, T-Mobile will also offer a daily data pass for $5 per day flat rate beginning on August 1 for those instances that you need faster speeds and unlimited talk. The pass includes high-speed data – 512MB of up to 4G LTE speeds – and unlimited calling abroad. Here’s how that $5 pass compares to what other carriers offer:
T-Mobile’s plan definitely seems competitive with other major carriers’ international options.
Google as another good option for travelers who need an international cell plan. TPG’s JT and Katie Genter rely on Google Project Fi for their continuous travels. A two-member plan is $35 per month plus $10 per GB for up to 10GB, then free data.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.