Don’t want to miss out on earning bonus points? There’s an extension for that
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Shopping portals are such an important aspect of the points and miles hobby. While you can learn all about them in our TPG Beginner’s Guide, we realize it’s easy to forget about this method of double-dipping on your online purchases.
If you haven’t built up the habit of clicking through a shopping portal — and don’t want to have to worry about remembering — technology is happy to come to the rescue. There are a number of extensions that you can add to your Chrome or Firefox browser to remind you anytime you’re shopping on a website where you can earn bonus points, miles or cash back.
Want tips and tricks for earning points and miles delivered to your inbox daily? Sign up for the TPG newsletter
In fact, there’s another option that was just added this week. One of my favorite shopping portals, TopCashback, just added a new Chrome and Firefox extension. So, let’s take this opportunity to round up some of the best browser extensions that are available now:
Airline shopping portals
If you’re looking for the highest payout at a particular time, going through an aggregator (more on those later) will help you find the best option. However, if you’re looking to earn miles toward a particular redemption or a perk such as the Southwest Companion Pass, you might want to be loyal to just one airline’s shopping portal.
Now is an especially good time to shop through airline shopping portals because many have launched holiday shopping bonuses.
- Alaska Airlines (Chrome extension): Alaska Airlines has one of the most valuable airline currencies and incredible partners, making it a great choice for going all-in on accumulating bonus miles.
- American Airlines (Chrome extension): The AA portal generally offers some solid earning rates, particularly during promotions.
- Delta Air Lines (Chrome extension): In addition to being one of the least-valuable major airline miles currencies, Delta SkyMiles Shopping seems to have consistently lower rates than the other airline portals. So, I’d only recommend if you really need extra Delta miles.
- JetBlue (Chrome Extension): ShopTrue Notify is JetBlue’s own browser extension available on Chrome and Safari. It will automatically notify you if you are on a site where you can earn TrueBlue points.
- Southwest (Chrome extension): This was one of the first airlines to launch a shopping portal browser extension back in October 2017. And yes, bonus points earned through the shopping portal go toward Companion Pass qualification.
- United Airlines (Chrome extension): United launched its browser extension in March 2018 and has since racked up an impressive 44,000 users.
While you can get a lot of value from airline miles, cash back is still king for a lot of shoppers. Here are some of my favorite cash back portals with browser extensions:
- Rakuten — formerly Ebates — (Chrome extension,Firefox add-on): Rakuten quickly became my favorite cash back portal in February 2019 when new members could start earning Membership Rewards points instead of just cash back. Starting late October 2019, all members can now opt into earning points instead of cash. Plus, Rakuten consistently runs some of the best promotions.
- TopCashback (Chrome extension, Firefox add-on) has an extensive list of over 4,000 partner stores where you can earn cash back and now has a brand new browser extension for Chrome and Firefox.
- Mr. Rebates (Chrome extension, Firefox add-on): The website looks like it hails from the early 2000s, but it typically offers solid everyday cash back earnings. And despite its older look, it has extensions to help remind you when you can be earning cash back on a website.
- Ibotta (Chrome extension): Ibotta provides cash back when you shop at more than 1500 stores through its app. Ibotta also has an app that allows you to shop in-store. The minimum amount to redeem rewards is $20.
- Honey (Chrome extension): This is a popular cash back portal that is also is part of the PayPal network. When it’s time for you to check out, Honey will automatically search for coupons and apply them.
- Amazon Assistant for Chrome (Chrome extension): This will send you notifications for the deal of the day and new deals on Amazon, plus compare prices as you shop online. It will also show you the best price available on Amazon and recommend similar products that are posted.
Other cash back portals include:
- BeFrugal: Chrome extension and Firefox add-on
- GoCashBack: Chrome extension
- Lemoney: Chrome extension
- RebatesMe: Chrome extension and Firefox add-on
- Shop At Home: Chrome extension and Firefox add-on
- WikiBuy Chrome extension
Aggregators are a great place to look if you just want the best return, regardless of whether its cash back, airline miles or credit card portal points.
Cash-back Watch: While I haven’t used this service myself, Cash-back Watch also has a Chrome extension available.
Shopping portals are an easy way to save money. Using portals with browser extensions is great if you want to take the hassle out of searching for rewards of frequently forget to search for them.
Related reading: Use online shopping portals to maximize your online shopping
Additional reporting by Jordyn Fields
Featured image by filadendron via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees