United Introduces Chrome Extension to Earn Bonus Miles on Shopping
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is making it easier to know when you can earn bonus miles through its MileagePlus shopping portal. The carrier has introduced a new MileagePlus Shopping Button extension for Google Chrome, which allows you to activate earning miles when doing your online shopping.
Here’s how it works. Once the extension has been installed, a notification will appear on screen when you visit an eligible MileagePlus Shopping website and there are miles to be earned from a purchase. Once you see it appear in the corner of the window, click the activate button to automatically enable the bonus mileage earning for your purchase. There, you’ll also be able to see your mileage earning on all recent purchases.
In addition to the extension’s ability to know when you’re on a site that’s eligible to earn you bonus miles, it will also let you compare bonus mileage earn rates when using a search engine. For example, if you Google “cookware sets,” the results with retailers will automatically populate with the bonus mileage earning at that particular merchant. For example, it would tell you if Target, Macy’s and Walmart are all offering 5 miles per dollar.
Alaska Airlines introduced the same Mileage Plan Shopping Button Chrome extension in February. If you’re a frequent online shopper and interested in earning United or Alaska miles, these Chrome extensions could be worthwhile to install in order to maximize your purchases.
Online shopping portals are an easy way to earn extra miles for shopping. By logging in and just clicking through an airline or bank’s shopping portal, you can earn anywhere from one, two or even dozens of extra miles per dollar spent. This is on top of the points you earn from your credit card.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.