Use points to book these hotels for Oktoberfest
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Dust of your traditional Bavarian dirndl and lederhosen because Oktoberfest kicks off in Munich on Sept. 21. This annual tradition draws millions of visitors and dates back more than 200 years. If you’re thinking it’s too late to plan a trip to Munich, Germany, to enjoy the festivities at this juncture — thankfully, that’s not the case. Not only is it not too late, if you are working with a points and miles budget, you won’t even have to spend cash on your flights and hotels as there are still awards to be had.
Stay tuned tomorrow for info on award flight availability, but here’s how things look on the hotel front. Keep in mind that the Oktoberfest festival itself, known locally as Wiesn, is accessible via public transportation (the U-Bahn and S-Bahn), so you don’t need to stay in any one particular part of the city, as long as you can easily get yourself to a U-Bahn or S-Bahn stop.
Oktoberfest runs from Sept. 21–Oct. 6, so you also have a wide range of dates to work with. Many of the Munich-area hotels have greater availability Sunday through Thursday than on the weekends, but some have weekend availability — even including opening weekend. That said, if you prefer reduced crowds, a slightly toned-down atmosphere or you are bringing the kids, weekdays may be even more enjoyable than weekends. There are even some designated family days on Tuesdays, so keep that in mind when choosing dates.
Here are five good hotel options in Munich that still have Oktoberfest availability.
Just open this year, the Andaz Munich has rooms available for a wide variety of dates during Oktoberfest, including opening weekend, for 20,000 World of Hyatt points per night. That award price is much easier to swallow than the roughly 500-euro selling price. Award room options consist of two twin beds or one king bed.
As always, you can make instant point transfers from Chase Ultimate Rewards to the World of Hyatt at a 1:1 ratio if you have a card such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve® or Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card.
Another hotel option with above-average weekend availability during Oktoberfest is the Westin Grand Munich. This property will set you back 35,000 Marriott points per night or around 300 to 400 euros. Standard award availability consists of two twins or one king bed, depending on the date. Of course, as a Category 5 Marriott at 35k points, you could also use a Marriott up to 35k certificate available with the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card or Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card.
Availability at this property is spotty, but there are some Oktoberfest dates available and the location is about as close as you can get to the fairgrounds so you don’t even need to worry about transportation.
Award rates are 35,000 Marriott points per night and cash prices range between 300 to 500 euros during most of Oktoberfest. If you can’t find availability here but want to stay relatively close to the action using Marriott points, check out the slightly further out Sheraton Munich Westpark that has better availability and award rates at just 25,000 Marriott points per night.
If you are looking to use Hilton points to partake in all things beer and pretzel, the Hampton By Hilton Munich City West is a great balance of price and location at just 40,000 Hilton points per night. That said, availability at this point is spotty, so use the flexible date calendar to spot available dates in a hurry.
Hilton options with better availability during Oktoberfest include the Hilton Munich Park and Hilton Munich City, both at roughly 70,000 points per night. If you are attending on a weekend, this could be a great time to burn a Hilton weekend award night. Here are some cards that offer that weekend award night.
Make a budget choice
If you just need a place to sleep, are willing to use public transportation to head in and out of the festival and have Choice or Wyndham points available, you can spend as few as 10,000 to 20,000 Choice Privileges points per night or 15,000 to 30,000 Wyndham Rewards points per night to stay at places such as the Star Inn München Schwabing by Comfort.
It can easily cost thousands of dollars to plan a trip to Oktoberfest, but it can also just cost you the points you already have in your accounts — even at this relatively close-in date if you use flexible date calendars. Or, just use the work we did as a jumping-off point, lock in a hotel and start planning your adventure. Speaking of which, if you are at all interested in attending Oktoberfest, check out this episode of the Miles Away podcast. It’s dedicated to planning a trip to this annual festival.
Featured image by f.cadiou/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees