How to maximize points and miles on Mother’s Day purchases
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
May is already in full swing and that means Mother’s Day is right around the corner — this Sunday, May 9. If you haven’t ordered your flowers or picked out a gift yet, now’s the time to do so.
While it’s obviously not the main priority, if you play your cards right, you can earn bonus points or cash back in the process. Here are four strategies to maximize your Mother’s Day purchases.
Want more credit card news and travel advice from TPG? Sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Earn up to 30 miles per dollar on flowers
If you’re ordering flowers online and can secure a last-minute delivery slot, you can earn a hefty haul of bonus miles on your purchase. All you need to do is click through to the major flower websites via the following links:
- FTD: Earn 30 American Airlines miles per dollar
- FTD: Earn 30 United MileagePlus miles per dollar
- FTD: Earn 30 Delta SkyMiles per dollar
- FTD: Earn 20x Membership Rewards points (or 20% cash back) per dollar via Rakuten
- 1-800-Flowers: Earn 15 United miles per dollar
- 1-800-Flowers: Earn 10 American Airlines miles per dollar
- 1-800-Flowers: Earn 7 Alaska Airlines miles per dollar
- 1-800-Flowers: Earn 7 Southwest Rapid Rewards points per dollar
- 1-800-Flowers: Earn 20x Membership Rewards points (or 20% cash back) per dollar via Rakuten
- ProFlowers: Earn 20x Membership Rewards points (or 20% cash back) per dollar via Rakuten
- ProFlowers: Earn 16 United MileagePlus miles per dollar
- ProFlowers: Earn 15 American Airlines miles per dollar
- ProFlowers: Earn 10 Alaska Airlines miles per dollar
- ProFlowers: Earn 10 Delta SkyMiles per dollar
- Teleflora Flowers: Earn 20x Membership Rewards points (or 20% cash back) per dollar via Rakuten
- UrbanStems: Earn 3x Membership Rewards points (or 3% cash back) per dollar via Rakuten
Note that flower purchases don’t trigger common category bonuses, so you’ll want to pay with a card that offers the best return for everyday spending, such as the Chase Freedom Unlimited or Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card.
Earn miles shopping for gifts
Flowers aren’t your only opportunity to pick up some extra points or miles. You can also use online shopping portals to earn bonus rewards on other gifts. Keep in mind, the miles you earn here are in addition to the points and miles you earn for paying with a rewards credit card.
Several popular retailers are offering boosted earning rates in honor of the holiday, including:
- Sephora: 4x AAdvantage miles per dollar
- Macy’s: 5x AAdvantage miles per dollar
- Adidas: 10x Membership Rewards points (or 10% cash back) per dollar via Rakuten
- Under Armour: 12x United MileagePlus miles per dollar
- Saks Fifth Avenue: 4% – 10% cash back with TopCashBack — and use the up to $50 statement credit from your Platinum Card® from American Express. Enrollment is required for select benefits.
- Bloomingdale’s: 8% cash back with TopCashBack
- Bed Bath & Beyond: 3x JetBlue TrueBlue points per dollar
Your best bet would be to use a shopping portal aggregator site like Cashback Monitor to compare returns and help determine which portal to use for a particular retailer.
Some shopping programs even allow you to earn bonus points and miles for in-store shopping — like this set of retailers through Alaska’s portal. You’ll need to link your credit card and activate offers individually to earn rewards for in-store shopping.
Earn points on brunch
If you plan on treating your mother to brunch — whether it be dining out or ordering in — make sure to pay with a credit card that will award you bonus points on dining. Here are some of the best cards to consider:
- Citi Prestige® Card – 5x Citi ThankYou points for an 8.5% return based on TPG’s valuations
- American Express® Gold Card – 4x Amex Membership Rewards points at restaurants for an 8% return
- American Express® Green Card – 3x Amex Membership Rewards points at restaurants for a 6% return
- Chase Sapphire Reserve – 3x Ultimate Rewards points for a 6% return
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card – 3x Ultimate Rewards points for a 6% return
The information for the Citi Prestige and Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You can double-dip on these meals by making your reservation or placing your order through the app Seated. It offers up to 30% back in rewards on top of what you earn with your dining credit card. Then, you can potentially earn even more miles if the restaurant participates in a dining rewards network.
Save with promo codes and offers
Several retailers that participate in online shopping portals are also currently featured in some Amex and Chase Offers. So, you may be able to save on your Mother’s Day purchases and still earning bonus miles. For instance, there are currently Amex Offers for 1-800-Flowers and UrbanStems purchases — both of which participate in online shopping portals. Plus, you may be able to save even more by applying a promo code to your order.
Just be sure to read the fine print. Sometimes, orders must be placed through a specific link to qualify for an Amex Offer. Similarly, certain promo codes may disqualify your order from earning extra rewards through Amex Offers or an online shopping portal. Eligibility for these offers is limited. Enrollment is required in the Amex Offers section of your account before redeeming.
If you have an Amex Platinum with an up to $100 Best Buy and $100 Home Depot statement credits and $30 monthly PayPal credit available, you can leverage those to stretch your savings even further.
There are many ways to earn valuable points and miles when you make your Mother’s Day purchases. If you’re strategic, you can potentially double- or even triple-dip on your rewards. Just be sure to order your gifts soon so that they arrive in time!
Featured photo by Ronnie Kaufman/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees