How to maximize points and miles on Mother’s Day purchases
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spring is blooming, and that means Mother’s Day is right around the corner. It’s this Sunday, May 8 — so if you haven’t ordered your flowers or picked out a gift yet, time is running short.
While it’s obviously not the main priority, you can earn bonus points or cash back if you play your cards right. Here are four strategies to maximize your Mother’s Day purchases.
Want more credit card news and travel advice from TPG? Sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Earn up to 30 miles per dollar on flowers
If you’re ordering flowers online and can secure a last-minute delivery slot, you can earn a hefty haul of bonus miles on your purchase. All you need to do is click through to the major flower websites via the following links:
- 1-800-Flowers: Earn 7 Alaska Airlines miles per dollar.
- 1-800-Flowers: Earn 10 American Airlines miles per dollar.
- 1-800-Flowers: Earn 3 JetBlue TrueBlue points per dollar.
- 1-800-Flowers: Earn 30 Membership Rewards points (or 30% cash back) per dollar via Rakuten.
- 1-800-Flowers: Earn 7 Southwest Rapid Rewards points per dollar.
- 1-800-Flowers: Earn 30 United miles per dollar.
- FTD: Earn 9 Alaska Airlines miles per dollar.
- FTD: Earn 12 American Airlines miles per dollar.
- FTD: Earn 20 Delta SkyMiles per dollar.
- FTD: Earn 15 Membership Rewards points (or 15% cash back) per dollar via Rakuten.
- FTD: Earn 20 United MileagePlus miles per dollar.
- ProFlowers: Earn 12 Alaska Airlines miles per dollar.
- ProFlowers: Earn 12 American Airlines miles per dollar.
- ProFlowers: Earn 12 Delta SkyMiles per dollar.
- ProFlowers: Earn 10 Membership Rewards points (or 10% cash back) per dollar via Rakuten.
- ProFlowers: Earn 20 United MileagePlus miles per dollar.
- Teleflora Flowers: Earn 3 Alaska Airlines miles per dollar.
- Teleflora Flowers: Earn 4 American Airlines miles per dollar.
- Teleflora Flowers: Earn 10 Membership Rewards points (or 10% cash back) per dollar via Rakuten.
- Teleflora Flowers: Earn 30 United MileagePlus miles per dollar.
- UrbanStems: Earn 7 Alaska Airlines miles per dollar.
- UrbanStems: Earn 10 American Airlines miles per dollar.
- UrbanStems: Earn 3 Membership Rewards points (or 3% cash back) per dollar via Rakuten.
- UrbanStems: Earn 5 United MileagePlus miles per dollar.
Note that flower purchases don’t trigger common category bonuses, so you’ll want to pay with a card that offers the best return for everyday spending, such as the Chase Freedom Unlimited or Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card.
Earn miles shopping for gifts
Flowers aren’t your only opportunity to pick up some extra points or miles. You can also use online shopping portals to earn bonus rewards on other gifts. Keep in mind, that the miles you earn here are in addition to the points and miles you earn for paying with a rewards credit card.
Several popular retailers are offering boosted earning rates in honor of the holiday, including:
- Under Armour
- Saks Fifth Avenue
- Bed Bath & Beyond
Your best bet would be to use a shopping portal aggregator site like Cashback Monitor to compare returns and help determine which portal to use for a particular retailer.
Some shopping programs even allow you to earn bonus points and miles for in-store shopping — like this set of retailers through Alaska’s portal. You’ll need to link your credit card and activate offers individually to earn rewards for in-store shopping.
Earn points on brunch
If you plan on treating your mother to brunch — whether it be dining out or ordering in — make sure to pay with a credit card that will award you bonus points on dining. Here are some of the best cards to consider:
- American Express® Gold Card – 4 Membership Rewards points at restaurants for an 8% return.
- American Express® Green Card – 3 Membership Rewards points per dollar at restaurants for a 6% return.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve – 3 Ultimate Rewards points per dollar at restaurants for a 6% return.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card – 2 Ultimate Rewards points per dollar at restaurants for a 4% return.
The information for the Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You can double dip on these meals by making your reservation or placing your order through the app Seated. It offers up to 30% back in rewards on top of what you earn with your dining credit card. Then, you can potentially earn even more miles if the restaurant participates in a dining rewards network.
Save with promo codes and offers
Several retailers participating in online shopping portals are also currently featured in some Amex and Chase Offers. So, you may be able to save on your Mother’s Day purchases and still earn bonus miles.
For instance, there are currently Amex Offers for 1-800-Flowers and Teleflora purchases — both of which participate in online shopping portals. And Chase Offers has 1-800-Flowers, as well, and both have offers for brands that sell chocolates and other gifts.
Plus, you may be able to save even more by applying a promo code to your order.
Just be sure to read the fine print. Sometimes, orders must be placed through a specific link to qualify for an Amex Offer. Similarly, certain promo codes may disqualify your order from earning extra rewards through Amex Offers or an online shopping portal.
Eligibility for these offers is limited. Enrollment is required in the Amex Offers section of your account before redeeming.
There are many ways to earn valuable points and miles when you make your Mother’s Day purchases. If you’re strategic, you can potentially double or even triple dip on your rewards. Just be sure to order your gifts soon so they arrive in time!
Featured photo by Ronnie Kaufman/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.