Surge in bookings leads to Hawaiian Airlines site crash, swamped phone lines: Here’s how to avoid long hold times
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaii rolled out its first iteration of vaccine passports this past week: Through the Safe Travels program, Hawaii residents who received their vaccine within the state can start interisland travel by uploading their proof of vaccination. This vaccine passport will allow eligible travelers to skip quarantine and testing requirements altogether.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
While there’s no news just yet for what vaccine passports will look like for out-of-state travelers, Hawaii has offered a pre-testing option to help individuals avoid quarantine since mid-October.
With the news of this vaccine passport, Hawaiian Airlines has seen a surge in demand, unable to adequately assist customers booking reservations. Their website crashed on Friday due to this influx of attempted reservations. Likewise, their call center is “experiencing unusually heavy call volumes,” with gruesomely long expected wait times.
If you’re looking to book travel to Hawaii soon, here’s what you can do to work around these long phone wait times.
Contact Hawaiian Airlines via live chat
According to the Hawaiian Airlines website, agents are available through the online chat function 24 hours a day.
Even if that’s the case, I couldn’t find a way to reach an agent on a Saturday morning. If you want to go this route, your best bet is to refresh the page until the chat function is available again.
Text Hawaiian Airlines customer service
If you don’t want to be stuck on hold for hours, another great option is to text Hawaiian’s customer service at 38-285. Note that agents are only available for assistance from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. HST, which is the equivalent of 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET.
You should receive an automated text that you’re being transferred to a representative. Someone will be there to assist you with your reservation when it’s your turn.
Reach out to Hawaiian Airlines via Facebook or Twitter
Another option is to reach out to Hawaiian Airlines’ social media accounts. To speed up your process, you’ll want to directly message their Facebook or Twitter accounts with your full name, confirmation number, email address and flight number ready to go.
Hawaii will continue to become an increasingly popular destination with the recent vaccine passport rollout that will hopefully soon be available to all vaccinated travelers. With the uptick in the number of people hitting the road comes a potential headache: Contacting airline customer service. Be prepared to face long wait times when reaching out to customer support, and to try new avenues to make contact.
Featured photo by Hawaiian Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees