Best Gifts for the Budget Traveler
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For some people, traveling is one big endless splurge on fancy restaurants, hotels, or experiential packages. The budget traveler is different. These folks like to save their pennies. They’re a bit more practical and no-nonsense. They’re more likely to appreciate a good bargain than an indulgent escape. If this is you or someone you know, check out these ideal gifts for the budget traveler in your life.
1. Gadget: 4-in- 1 Travel Adaptor
The perfect balance of price, functionality, and primary colors, this interlocking adaptor can help you convert electronic juice and navigate over 150 countries. The gadget is so chic it’s actually sold at the Museum of Modern Art. Buy: Momastore.org, $25
2. Cosmetic: Flint Reusable Lint Roller
What if Apple designed lint rollers? This is what we imagine it’d look like. Become a little more polished and presentable on your next extended excursion with this portable and retractable device, which comes with 30 adhesive sheets. Buy: Amazon.com, $10
3. Travel Bag: iFLY Admiral Carry-On
A lightweight hard side with a TSA-accepted lock, laptop sleeve, 360-degree wheels, laundry bag and USB port for under a hundred bucks? Even the most economical traveler would give this her stamp of approval. Buy: iFLYLuggage.com, $99
4. Book: How to Travel the World on $50 a Day
There’s a reason Matt Kepnes’ book is now on its third edition: it’s loaded with value. Packed with interviews, actionable advice and tales of his own experiences jetting around for over a decade, this could become your new bible. Buy: Amazon.com, $13
5. Accessory: Uniqlo Ultra Light Down Vest
Everyone knows the secret to traveling light is a monochromatic wardrobe. The other secret? Squishable articles of clothing, like this vest from the favorite Japanese retailer, that are both extremely warm and take up zero room in your duffel. Buy: Uniqlo.com, $60
6. Comfort: Muji Non-Itchy Wool Rib Beanie
Winter’s not coming. It’s already here! This wool-and- cotton blend won’t make your head itch, which is great, because you’ve got more important things to think about, like finding the cheapest Michelin-starred restaurant in the world. Buy: Muji.us, $24
7. Subscription: Globe In Artisan Box
Help support local artisans with this subscription box that delivers one hand-picked, fair trade good every month. If you’re the type that always returns from a trip regretting something you didn’t buy, these gorgeous baskets, ceramics and jewelry might fill the void. Buy: GlobeIn.com, $10/month
8. Gift Card: Headspace
Perfect for navigating airports and Uber delays, this popular meditation app might just be the cure for every major travel woe. There are special meditation packs for stress, anxiety, work and much more, making it a small investment with a big payoff. Buy: Headspace.com, $96
9. Random: Artifact Uprising Wood Calendar
Surprise your travel buddy by grabbing a few of their best Instagrams and turning them into a handsome handcrafted calendar. They can relive global memories — and get inspiration for new trips — with each passing month. Buy: ArtifactUprising.com, $30
10. Charity: Kiva Card
This gift starts a chain reaction of supporting international entrepreneurs. Your recipient can choose to whom they want to loan money, from a farmer in Tanzania to a grocer in India. When the loan is repaid, they can lend the funds again. Maybe the most selfless present of all. Buy: Kiva.org, $25+
Featured image by Dangubic / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees