This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For some people, traveling is one big endless splurge on fancy restaurants, hotels, or experiential packages. The budget traveler is different. These folks like to save their pennies. They’re a bit more practical and no-nonsense. They’re more likely to appreciate a good bargain than an indulgent escape. If this is you or someone you know, check out these ideal gifts for the budget traveler in your life.
1. Gadget: 4-in- 1 Travel Adaptor
The perfect balance of price, functionality, and primary colors, this interlocking adaptor can help you convert electronic juice and navigate over 150 countries. The gadget is so chic it’s actually sold at the Museum of Modern Art. Buy: Momastore.org, $25
2. Cosmetic: Flint Reusable Lint Roller
What if Apple designed lint rollers? This is what we imagine it’d look like. Become a little more polished and presentable on your next extended excursion with this portable and retractable device, which comes with 30 adhesive sheets. Buy: Amazon.com, $10
3. Travel Bag: iFLY Admiral Carry-On
A lightweight hard side with a TSA-accepted lock, laptop sleeve, 360-degree wheels, laundry bag and USB port for under a hundred bucks? Even the most economical traveler would give this her stamp of approval. Buy: iFLYLuggage.com, $99
4. Book: How to Travel the World on $50 a Day
There’s a reason Matt Kepnes’ book is now on its third edition: it’s loaded with value. Packed with interviews, actionable advice and tales of his own experiences jetting around for over a decade, this could become your new bible. Buy: Amazon.com, $13
5. Accessory: Uniqlo Ultra Light Down Vest
Everyone knows the secret to traveling light is a monochromatic wardrobe. The other secret? Squishable articles of clothing, like this vest from the favorite Japanese retailer, that are both extremely warm and take up zero room in your duffel. Buy: Uniqlo.com, $60
6. Comfort: Muji Non-Itchy Wool Rib Beanie
Winter’s not coming. It’s already here! This wool-and- cotton blend won’t make your head itch, which is great, because you’ve got more important things to think about, like finding the cheapest Michelin-starred restaurant in the world. Buy: Muji.us, $24
7. Subscription: Globe In Artisan Box
Help support local artisans with this subscription box that delivers one hand-picked, fair trade good every month. If you’re the type that always returns from a trip regretting something you didn’t buy, these gorgeous baskets, ceramics and jewelry might fill the void. Buy: GlobeIn.com, $10/month
8. Gift Card: Headspace
Perfect for navigating airports and Uber delays, this popular meditation app might just be the cure for every major travel woe. There are special meditation packs for stress, anxiety, work and much more, making it a small investment with a big payoff. Buy: Headspace.com, $96
9. Random: Artifact Uprising Wood Calendar
Surprise your travel buddy by grabbing a few of their best Instagrams and turning them into a handsome handcrafted calendar. They can relive global memories — and get inspiration for new trips — with each passing month. Buy: ArtifactUprising.com, $30
10. Charity: Kiva Card
This gift starts a chain reaction of supporting international entrepreneurs. Your recipient can choose to whom they want to loan money, from a farmer in Tanzania to a grocer in India. When the loan is repaid, they can lend the funds again. Maybe the most selfless present of all. Buy: Kiva.org, $25+
Featured image by Dangubic / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards