NYC Michelin Guide Adds Just One New Two-Star Restaurant
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s beginning to get lonely at the top of the New York City restaurant world, according to the just-announced 2018 Michelin Guide. No eatery was promoted to the top-ranked three-star category, while only one was elevated to the two-star category, of which there are now 11 city-wide. There are 56 restaurants with one star, six of them newly anointed. The reigning five three-star restaurants are Chef’s Table at Brooklyn Fare — which, despite its name, is actually in Manhattan — Eleven Madison Park, Le Bernardin, Masa and Per Se.
This year, Midtown’s Sushi Ginza Onodera was elevated from one star to two. In making that announcement, Michael Ellis, international director of the Guide, said the restaurant “is on a par with two-starred sushi restaurants around the globe.” Sushi Ginza Onodera joins 10 other two-starred restaurants — Aquavit, Aska, Atera, Blanca, Daniel, Jean-Georges, Jungsik, Ko, Marea and The Modern. The new one-star eateries this year are Bar Urchü, The Clocktower, Cote Korean Steakhouse, Rouge Tomate Chelsea, Satsuki and Sushi Amane.
In the Michelin hierarchy, three stars represent “exceptional cuisine, worth a journey,” while two stars denote “excellent cuisine, worth a detour,” and one star means “high quality, worth a stop.” Additionally, there are 120 Bib Gourmand restaurants in the New York City Guide, which Michelin chooses for having good food at reasonable prices. The NYC announcement completes this year’s roll-out of 2018 Michelin Guides, following the release of the winners in Washington, DC, Chicago and San Francisco earlier this month, and will be on sale November 3 for $18.99.
What are your favorite places to eat in New York City? Tell us about them, below.
Featured image by Sushi Ginza Onodera / Facebook.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees